Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time hunting Pierre area

Default Crowds

Wow. Thanks to BigRand for that honest assessment. As a Plan B might we be better trying the areas around Winner, Mobridge, or Mitchell???

Unfortunately not really gonna matter where you pick that time of year. Anywhere with birds to speak of will be pretty full with hunters. Best bet I have found is to find areas away from bigger towns. The way I figure it is the bigger the town the more hotels this equalling more hunters. If you're willing to go the extra mile to drive that extra half hour or walk to places others won't you should do fine.

when he says crowds he means hordes. Anything before mid november will be stupid crowded. With a high count every hotel will be full capacity. The public is pounded day after day many times a day. If you go I would drive an hr before I started to hunt. Most won't do that

last 2 post are spot on not trying to scare you off but you gotta realize when planing ur hunt its SD guys from every state that does not have pheasants go hunt there every year when bird numbers are up like this year its worse... find a area that has no hotels or lodgeing near by or campground etc. & a town not mentioned on the sd ring neck road counts with proper habitat & u will find birds... i routinely drive 1hr or more 1 way to hunt fringe areas last time i hunted sd i tried to just hunt 1 area close to my cabin seen lots of educated birds once i got away from town & hunted real small areas mostly overlooked i killed birds not just seen lots flush wild or in ditches or feed lots etc. you gotta out hunt the hunters the pheasants are there no doubt...
    Last edited by small munsterlander owner; 10-03-2015 at 05:51 PM.

everybody from out east wants to get as far out west as they can to hunt pheasants in SDs highest bird #s cant get much farther then pierre...

i always think when guys wanna hunt pheasants in the counties with highest harvest etc. all i see in that harvest stat is wear alot of hunters hunted i avoid them counties because i hunt public land & that means lots of guys in the same land i wanna hunt no good...

my recomendation is start hunting in far eastern SD kill some birds with out compatition then move west to higher bird numbers if need be... not many locals in eastern SD not many outta state hunters focus on extreme eastern SD its a fly over pass through region to get to better pheasant numbers out west with more hotels cafes bars etc.