Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pheasant count

Default pheasant count

The North Dakota road survey for pheasant populations is out. Go to North Dakota fish and Game site. Looks good in most parts of the state with the biggest (34%) increase in the South West which already held the highest numbers.

Yeah that's no shocker about the SW. Problem is, most of it is pay to play.

I don't know the figures, but even the SW has lost a considerable amount of CRP. I would fair to guess the counts are nowhere near comparable to the mid 2000's numbers, specifically that 2003- 2008 period when CRP acreage was at it's peak.

Quote Originally Posted by birdshooter View Post
    Yeah that's no shocker about the SW. Problem is, most of it is pay to play.

I don't know the figures, but even the SW has lost a considerable amount of CRP. I would fair to guess the counts are nowhere near comparable to the mid 2000's numbers, specifically that 2003- 2008 period when CRP acreage was at it's peak.

Yes but this is still good news!!!! IMO.
    Last edited by pheasanthunt; 09-15-2015 at 08:08 PM.

One thing I wished ND did was break up the surveys to more than just 4 areas. It's really a very bad way to do it. At least add south central and north central. 4 areas for a state that big is ridiculous. How many areas does Iowa and SD have?

Good news in my opinion too. I agree that the mid 2000's , 2005 or so was rediculous , pheasants everywhere. Last year seemed better than the previous two. The CRP loss in the area I hunt is sad. I still think ND is the best ran state for sportsmen I've ever hunted.

the only sad fact here is all the increase is ONLY HENS , folks there are NO ROOSTERS in N.DAK!

In my kitchen planning for my next hunt, in Northern Idaho

Quote Originally Posted by dustin mudd View Post
    the only sad fact here is all the increase is ONLY HENS , folks there are NO ROOSTERS in N.DAK!
    I totally heard that also. There was a devasting disease the wiped out the roosters.
    True Devotion - Place both your wife and dog in the trunk for one hour on a warm day. Open the trunk and find out which one is happy to see you.

[QUOTE=dustin mudd;202528]the only sad fact here is all the increase is ONLY HENS , folks there are NO ROOSTERS in N.DAK!:QUOTE]

good stuff.

Default no roosters

Well it looks like the camouflage training most of the roosters took this summer is paying off.
    They were taught the safest way to stay alive is to look like the ladies so by whatever means that were available to them they are now disguised as hens.
    Only their cackle as they fly away will tell you, you have been fooled.

Quote Originally Posted by JO BO View Post
    Well it looks like the camouflage training most of the roosters took this summer is paying off.
    They were taught the safest way to stay alive is to look like the ladies so by whatever means that were available to them they are now disguised as hens.
    Only their cackle as they fly away will tell you, you have been fooled.
    Could be the roosters will evolve to safer colors, but can they keep their beaks shut?