Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: November

Well, I guess the next question is when are the crops out, it can be anytime from Oct-Nov. here in Mo. but usually by the end of Oct.
    Last edited by fstchkn; 08-24-2015 at 09:29 PM.

As others have said, if you go without a dog and early in the year, good luck. Stick to ditches next to harvest corn or sunflower fields and you will find some birds though. I would avoid the easily accessible areas around Chamberlain, they get hit hard. Get away from I-90 a bit.

Can't predict when crops will come out in a given year, but typically by end of Oct., so your timing should be ok. You're getting good advice on hunting ditches with good cover near harvested fields. Birds will be running ahead of pressure by then, so drop a guy at one end, the other guy drive on to post the other end, or walk from both ends to meet near the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    As others have said, if you go without a dog and early in the year, good luck. Stick to ditches next to harvest corn or sunflower fields and you will find some birds though. I would avoid the easily accessible areas around Chamberlain, they get hit hard. Get away from I-90 a bit.
    That was kind of the plan we were thinking, not set on Chamberlain either, will be coming in from the east on 90, so pretty much willing to stay anywhere along that route. Just looked like Chamberlain or Mitchell will have the better choices of the few places to stay. I picked Chamberlain because I may have a contact there, still waiting on if than pans out.
    Another question, on the SD GFP website, where do they come up with the hunter and harvest numbers by county? I've seen no reference to reporting where you hunt or where you kill birds.
    Last edited by fstchkn; 08-25-2015 at 04:38 PM.

It's a survey that they send out at the end of the season. Not everyone gets included but it's pretty random and gives a fairly accurate picture of #'s.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Comyn DVM View Post
    I would be a little concerned with your dog power with several people and a week in pheasant country. The northern plains are rough on dogs. If your dogs aren't in really great shape and have real hard feet, they will last 2 maybe 3 days. 2 days if there is a lot of snow. Last November, 3 dogs lasted 4 days. It was cold, windy and snowy. Just be aware that SD / ND aren't at all like the east. The crop residue (esp beans and flowers) is tough on feet, but the grass can be worse.
    For your first post, you brought out a very good point.. It takes a lot of dog power to hunt SD if your gonna wing it yourself. I hunt alone with 2 GSPs, and rotate them. By the end of the day, theyre dog tired. By the end of the trip, theyre trash.

Welcome to the site Pat!

My advice would be go hit the nasty stuff and use the crowds to your advantage. Most hunter hitting the publics will park the cars in the parking areas, slam doors and then start screaming at the dog. The birds obviously have been conditioned and say oh crap better get out of here. Let the other group "push" the birds to you. Find a way to get to the other end of the parcel. Obviously don't impeded the other groups hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Amsrc11 View Post
    Some of my friends and I are headed to SD for a week of public land hunting in mid November. We will have 2 dogs. A German short hair and and English pointer. I was trying to get some insight on what we can expect as far as public land hunts...terain, cover etc. also if anyone has any tips they would like to pass on to make my trip from Ohio more enjoyable. That would be greatly appreciated. God bless.
    Are you doing the Iowa trip, or the SD trip in mid November?, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by reddog View Post
    For your first post, you brought out a very good point.. It takes a lot of dog power to hunt SD if your gonna wing it yourself. I hunt alone with 2 GSPs, and rotate them. By the end of the day, theyre dog tired. By the end of the trip, theyre trash.

Welcome to the site Pat!
    i alternate my two during the day as well, i boot them, so i can get 10 days out of them, but they look starved and skinny when we head home, but they are some happy dogs...10 in a row is killer on me too!

buy a pair of dog boots, they help if you can keep them on all day.