Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ILDNR Controled pheasant hunting

Hunted Silver Springs in Yorkville this week Wednesday. 7 hunters total. Had a nice talk with the lady running it. She said next year is last year if hunter numbers don't increase. Same guy runs chain o lakes. Maybe another outfit will take over but as far as Current guy running it next year may be it.

I used to hunt COL quite a bit going back 12 years or so. Ive only hunted there once this year mid November just after they opened. I dont know that I can put my finger on it but it just doesnt have the same feel anymore. Barry the site superintendent retired ancouple years back. He ran a good ship.. they also need to let it run later in the year. It always shuts down when the weather is condusive to hunting. Mid November and I was walking through the woods with all of the leaves still up. Ive never seen so many permits available on the T Miller site. They used to sell out very quickly.
    Once youve been bitten by the wild bird bug its hard to really get into the released birds.
    And this place is just a couple of miles down the road from me.
    Mike

Hunted Silver Springs in Yorkville this week Wednesday. 7 hunters total. Had a nice talk with the lady running it. She said next year is last year if hunter numbers don't increase. Same guy runs chain o lakes. Maybe another outfit will take over but as far as Current guy running it next year may be it

Is Silver Springs a state run place? I've never heard of it and I don't see it on the state's CPH application page. I hunt Johnson's Sauk trail but would be interested in going to Yorkville because the drive would be the same distance for me.

It's a state owned facility but the pheasant hunting is a private company. It's a few more $$$ but well worth it to stay away from the large state run places like Des Plaines CA. Google T Miller pheasant hunting and the website will come up.

thanks a lot. I will look into that for next year.

how is the hunting there? Do you usually only see the birds that you pay for or do you get a chance at extras? Meaning if you get a 4 bird permit and miss a bird do hunters have a decent change at seeing a 5th bird to try and still fill the 4 bird permit?

I've always shot my limit there. I usually get a 2 bird permit but some days I'm done in 15 minutes which is way too quick. I do have 2 very good small Munsterlanders that do all the work. The cover in October can be too thick. I like to hunt there after a couple of frosts. Mid Nov-Jan is best. I also hunt mid week Wednesday's as birds not shot over the weekend can be a bonus.
    PM me next year and I can give you more details on best areas, ect.
    I'm hunting there this Saturday.

Bob

I appreciate all the info. I can't make it out this weekend or I would check it out. I assume it follows the season dates and this weekend is the end. I will pm you next year.

As I think I mentioned above, thats one of the issues in COL. Its over by mid December just as the weather is getting good.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ilhunter View Post
    I appreciate all the info. I can't make it out this weekend or I would check it out. I assume it follows the season dates and this weekend is the end. I will pm you next year.
    Ilhunter was that you who was at Green River the same day I was last year or Sandprairie? Sorry if I have the wrong guy.
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

i think you have the wrong guy. I've only hunted Green River once and it was this year and I've never been to Sand Prairie.