Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Bird sightings

Quote Originally Posted by AtTheMurph View Post
    From your report I believe there are 12,631 pheasants per acre in Iroquois County. I had my wife who graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Math check my work. Apparently I was off. There are 12,634.)
    Those numbers seem about right to me Murph. Give or take a few. Up here in the northern part of the state the bird numbers aren't quite as high but still around 9,000 birds per acre (in grassland areas). I"m almost to the point of throwing stones at them just to make it a challenge.
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Maybe not quite that high. Karma is a bitch. Was down early Saturday morning, and hunted a couple of ditches south of Sheldon that have done well in the past. First one I saw 10 hens and one rooster. 8 of the hens were rock solid points. Second ditch had a nice filter strip on each side. It's a 1/2 mile walk down and back. 6 or so rock solid points on hens, and 2 roosters that flushed wild.

Head down to Prairie Green area. First ditch nothing. Second ditch dog pointed 4 hens didn't see a rooster. One more spot I wanted to check on by Wellington. Get out of the truck, 3 roosters flush before I shut the truck door. Walked the east side. Noting, and came back on the west side. Dog pointed where small ditch intersects the ditch I was walking. One hen got up, and a rooster flushed wild in the corn stalks to far to shoot. That was it. Had to be back on the road by 11. So only got skunked, but saw birds in all but one spot. All in all a great morning. Had some great dog work, and saw a few birds.

Had to shovel out from a foot of snow at home Monday morning. Haven't talked to my mom, but sounds like mostly rain in Milford. These early snows are hard on birds, so hopefully Milford area can stay snow free for a while. Hope to be back down in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ehudgens View Post
    Had to shovel out from a foot of snow at home Monday morning. Haven't talked to my mom, but sounds like mostly rain in Milford. These early snows are hard on birds, so hopefully Milford area can stay snow free for a while. Hope to be back down in a week or so.
    I was a little concerned too. All that rain that came with a cold front afterward can turn snow into a hard shell. Thankfully it was warm enough, long enough to melt most of it.
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com