Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird sightings

Thanks for the updates. Mchenry County-- I saw some wild roosters earlier this week. Also heard some cackling as they came out of the corn and into roosting cover. I haven't had time to check on bird numbers at all this past summer and fall, but by the way things are looking I'd have to say wild pheasant numbers will be up from last year which was the worst I've seen in a long time. Spring conditions where not good but turned around for the better later in the nesting season and chick rearing season.

Opening day is tomorrow. If anyone gets out there this weekend please post what you're seeing. If possible post some pictures.
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Any updates out there? I saw a half dozen wild pheasants flush at the last push from a combine here in Mchenry County. Blew it with my camera though. That was a bummer. Anyway, the birds looked mature. No indication of a late hatch (in those birds at least).

My buddy farms a good chunk of land around here. He said he's been seeing a good number of birds this year (while combining). That's a good sign.
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

So I hunted yesterday for the first time this year in Iroquois Co. 7 different spots. In the first three put up only one cock and bagged it. Dog made a great find and retrieve which was really nice since I hadn't given him any work.

Next spot we saw 7 plus one lone quail. 1 cock 6 hens.

Next little ditch we put up about 40, 35 at least were hens. Had them blowing out both sides but I was never presented a shot and the rest of the party came up empty.

Next spot saw 42 and we bagged 4 cocks. Saw 6 cocks and the rest hens..

Last spot put up 19 birds and bagged only one that my buddy and I had to chase 3/4 mile across a corn field. We did finally get the dog on it. That was a ball buster but quite happy we got it before it made the next ditch 1.5 miles away.

Saw tons and tons of hens. Probably close to 8-1 hens to cocks. Numbers are better this year than last and the bee pollen ground I think helps. Seems to be quite a bit more cover.

Good to hear. Was up in South Dakota last week, so haven't made it down to Milford yet. Hope to get down next weekend. Kind of strange to see one lone quail. They are few and far between in Iroquois county. I'm with you, have high hopes for the pollen patches. It's gotta help, especially in nesting season. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Quote Originally Posted by ehudgens View Post
    Good to hear. Was up in South Dakota last week, so haven't made it down to Milford yet. Hope to get down next weekend. Kind of strange to see one lone quail. They are few and far between in Iroquois county. I'm with you, have high hopes for the pollen patches. It's gotta help, especially in nesting season. Good luck with the rest of your season.
    I found out today that the farmer planted 10 quail last week. He said the hawks got them all. Maybe not all!

So a 2nd hand report from south of Springfield. Know a guy who hunts over there and he said they saw close to 150 pheasants on opening day. I find that incredible since I don't think they have great cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ehudgens View Post
    haven't made it down to Milford yet. Hope to get down next weekend.
    Thanks for the updates. It's good to hear there seems to be more birds this season compared to last seasons lows.

ehudgens, did you make it out there (Milford yet)? If so what did you see?

Here's a wild Illinois pheasant from yesterday. There were good numbers of birds. They seem to be bunched up already too.
    IMG_7844 by , on Flickr
    Last edited by 1pheas4; 11-20-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Here's a couple photos from a few weeks ago with a combine on his last row. I mentioned it in another post how I blew it with my camera (on a number of birds that came out of the corn) but you can still see a couple wild pheasants in the distance. This was on the south end of the county.

DSC_0338 by , on Flickr

flying hen and rooster pheasants
    DSC_0345 by , on Flickr

I was down on Saturday morning. I do have a couple of hot spots that always have birds. I probably should have hit a couple of spots to do some prospecting, but I was pretty short for time, because I was heading over to Ohio to hunt ducks on Monday and Tuesday.

Pull into a crp field that is in the middle of a section. I really don't think people know this field is there. Can't see it from a road, and it's hard to get to. Pulled in, loaded up, and let my dog out. I literally just started walking and my dog locked up. Two roosters got up and I killed both of them. So I was done in about 1 minute.

Kind of bittersweet. Always nice to shoot a limit, but that's a little quick. So I guess I don't have much of a report since I only hunted 1 spot, and really didn't even hunt any of it.

I'm heading down next week to hunt some ditches hope to have a better report.

From your report I believe there are 12,631 pheasants per acre in Iroquois County. I had my wife who graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Math check my work. Apparently I was off. There are 12,634.)