Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Bird sightings

Not the greatest photos here but this is a wild pheasant (McHenry County) that I've been observing since the spring of 2015. I nick-named him "stripe" due to the reddish coloring running down the middle of his rump. I saw him again a couple weeks ago as he ran across the same bean field. Unfortunately he didn't give me an opportunity to get a picture.

wild illinois pheasant fall 2017 by

wild illinois McHenry County pheasant fall 2017 by

I'll add this one too. Another wild pheasant from McHenry County--fall 2016

wild illinois pheasant mchenry county 2016 by
    Last edited by 1pheas4; 01-25-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

On the far end of the northern part of the county I saw a nice rooster walking along a hedgerow last week. I turned around to get a picture but he split. On Tuesday, southern end of the county, I saw around 10 pheasants in two different fields feeding. A couple hens, the rest roosters. This has been an easy winter thus far. I think they'll be coming out in good condition this spring
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

Great to hear on birds. I think now that SD has gotten some moisture all the pheasant range should be coming into spring on a good note.

bulbs.jpg

Last day of season in Iroquois Co as we just started for home.

Someone captured a hen pheasant with a broad of chicks in Grundy County IL.

https://youtu.be/hDV8YV6tLgE

Good stuff Nick. Wont be long now eh?

Been doing some teal hunting in Lawrence county and seeing a fair amount of quail. Jumped a few coveys and some pairs. Does anybody know if there any wild pheasants in this part of sate? I haven't seen any but there is some good looking habitat around.

Ok, I answered my own question. Talked to neighboring property owner near where I hunt in Lawrence County and he said he see a pheasants. Also believes they have been getting more birds over the last couple years due to some WRP projects that have taken place in the area. Nice to hear some good news on birds!!

Down in Lawrence County moving a tree stand and jumped two coveys of quail, first about 12 birds second had 8 birds. In Crawford County a farm buddy had a covey in each of two corn fields when he combined.

Was in Iroquois Co last weekend and talked to a few farmers. Bird numbers are certainly up from the dismal numbers last year. They all saw birds harvesting and some quite a few.

Also they were all taking about the bee pollen patches that the state paid for (I think) that added lots of cover, especially in the northern part of the county. Lots of good bird cover that wasn't around a years ago. Makes me happy.

Did see one hen standing in a winter wheat field on my drive from Chi to Iroquois. Plenty of deer too. A couple big ones.