Thread: Chukar

Default Chukar

I don't hunt in Idaho but wanted to share with those of you that do. I was staying in Pocatello earlier this week traveling and saw about a dozen Chukar from the Holiday Inn Express parking lot. Several of them came to the edge of the parking lot feeding and I guess getting gravel before dropping off over the hill. It was a great sight to see first thing in the morning.

In my kitchen planning for my next hunt, in Northern Idaho

There are many reports of great hatches this year. So far also decent survival.
    True Devotion - Place both your wife and dog in the trunk for one hour on a warm day. Open the trunk and find out which one is happy to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin Birdy View Post
    I don't hunt in Idaho but wanted to share with those of you that do. I was staying in Pocatello earlier this week traveling and saw about a dozen Chukar from the Holiday Inn Express parking lot. Several of them came to the edge of the parking lot feeding and I guess getting gravel before dropping off over the hill. It was a great sight to see first thing in the morning.
    Hunting the Motel 6 parking lot is better yet I can tell you that wild chukar don't hang out in parking lots most likely some one's pets.

Yeah that could be correct. Still a pleasure to watch first thing in morning.

Quote Originally Posted by wesslpointer View Post
    wild chukar don't hang out in parking lots most likely some one's pets.
    I don't know if that's strictly the case but I know why you say that. Anyone who's hunted them can't imagine them being so habituated to human activity to be like banty chickens but I've seen every kind of wild bird in areas with a lot of human activity. I'd imagine if those Chukars had shelter and food you'd have a tough time getting them to leave and go back to where there were people hunting them. Besides, who keeps a flock of Chukars as pets and turns them loose to scratch in a parking lot? I know you're saying somebody is feeding them to keep them close so they can see them often but they're still just wild birds with a really good and reliable food source if that's the case. Fun to watch and you can learn a lot about their habits if you watch them long enough even in a parking lot.