Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting closer!

Default Getting closer!

August 1st means one more month until the dove opener and one month closer to hunting with the dogs. I start making runs a little longer when the weather permits and today was a good day to do that. It was just Blitz and Champ today since Nittany ran with them yesterday. Nittany's not too interested in running multiple days in a row.

Some quail have been out of the johnny house for a few days and it didn't take long for the first point.

It was a nice morning to be out as the sun was rising.

I extended the run a little by checking out a ditch that separates some of the corn that is planted in the area. There were lots of tracks in the mud from different animals but no bird tracks. We didn't find any birds in this area.

Not far from this area there is a food plot for deer, turkey and pheasants. Blitz had a point here:

Not exactly what I was hoping for but neither dog gave chase when they saw the deer run off.

Time to start working our way back to the truck and through the fields. Champ thinks he found something and Blitz backs

He was pretty sure something was in there

But we couldn't flush anything. A short time later Blitz thinks he found something.

And Champ comes in and honors Blitz's point once he can see through the grass.

Once again, we can't flush anything. But there was something there a one point.

A few quail feathers from a bird that was in the area. It didn't look like it was killed by anything, not enough feathers on the ground.

And that is it for the morning. I hope to soon work on some tracking running birds with Champ to get him ready for his NA test at the end of September.

That's a nice way to spend a morning!

You're right Brian, it's time to put down the fishing pole and pick up the scatter gun for some clay bird shooting. If you haven't had the pups out for some stretch runs now is the time. Put your vacation time in at work now so you don't miss out. Start lining up some hunting spots...October is right around the corner!
    Last edited by FLDBRED; 08-01-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Definitely is a great way to spend a morning! I've been trying to sure up some of Sadie's training so that way I know she will be ready for the field come the end of October. I'll probably need to start taking her on runs to boost her endurance some more. Right now the walks don't seem to be doing it.

And so I don't get "the look" in the field, I better take FLDBRED's advice and get the scatter gun out and go shoot some clays so I can do my end of the deal!
    Last edited by steelbull85; 08-02-2015 at 06:44 AM.

Nice pictures!
    Hey fldbrd, we took your advice and did some skeet shooting today and boy did we need it.

Looking good.

I shot some sporting clays a couple of weeks ago and did better than average for me. I hope to get some more shooting in soon.

We just confirmed a farm that will receive some birds from the State, the farmer also said he has seen birds for years. We're pretty excited! Anyone else find any new spots?

That's awesome Parooster! Glad the scouting paid off. I'm planning a scouting trip in the next 3 weeks in South Central Pa so hopefully I have as good of luck as you.