Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #7 steel shot

Default #7 steel shot

This year non-toxic shot will be required for all hunting on the Calif. state wildlife areas. I've found a few boxes of #7 steel shot to use for doves. Has anyone shot small birds like doves or quail with #7 steel? I've shot mallards with #6 steel but man it was a very narrow and pretty close effective band of lethality for 6s in my experience. It doesn't take much for a dove but #7 steel isn't much and loses velocity very quickly.

I used #7 steel in Iowa last year for doves and it worked really well. I normally don't shoot Winchesters but their dove load was good.

I use a lot of non toxic loads here in SE Iowa. Many areas require it and I am happy to oblige. Initially I was hesitant, I have found that 7 steel is very effective on dove, quail and 6 and 7 will bring down a rooster with no problem. Range is a factor, we all know nothing beats lead, but even lead has a range...As stated previously, Winchester isn't normally my "go to" brand, the steel loads, however, I have been very pleased with.. Good hunting...

Two things. First, thanks for the info. I'll use them with confidence on small birds and maybe as swatter loads when I use the 20 ga. for ducks.
    The other thing though is, how did you two know I bought Winchester loads? Are #7 steel loads only available in Winchester or...? You two are starting to scare me.

Have used Winchester Expert #7 shot for years on quail where I had to. Never again. I have no confidence with them. Will only use #6 steel shot. Not sure why; average takes a nosedive with them.

I'd use the #7 on doves.

I am looking to upgrade shells. A good steel shot for both quail and pheasant.

Use Prairie Storm #6 where I can use lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossing shot View Post
    Use Prairie Storm #6 where I can use lead.
    Everybody has a favorite pheasant load. For lead, I like #6 nickel plated Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in the first barrel and some old Winchester #4 Mark 5s in the second. I've got 9 boxes of those #4s to shoot up so...
    I'll report back about my experience with #7 steel after dove season...if I can remember.

We have to use steel for doves on state land here.

If your the kind of guy that only takes close shots you'll be fine.

If you like to shoot over 40 yards you're going to knock feathers off birds that keep flying.

I'd use 6's.

Quote Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter View Post
    If you like to shoot over 40 yards you're going to knock feathers off birds that keep flying.
    I'm not sure I can see a dove 40 yd.s away so the few I get a chance at will be closer.

Cal, I know that you know, doves aren't the hardest winged critter around to drop. Feathers are so thin, you got feathers, you pretty much got a downed bird. Your 7 steel are going to be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by calamari View Post
    I'm not sure I can see a dove 40 yd.s away so the few I get a chance at will be closer.
    Lol. I know its a long drive for doves but you're always welcome with me Cal. Last years opening day was wild! It was fun watching some of the misses going on in the group.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson