Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Grip Trap. MN SF1325

DNR has come out in support of the legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizslaowner View Post
    Please post the Wisconsin regs so people can decide for themselves if these changes " would parallel" , or is that slick wording in order to outlaw the 220 bodygrip trap from being used on the ground. Four feet off the ground is not as efficient as trail set. Much like anti hunting groups target dove hunting or bow hunting(because they are lower participation forms of hunting) these new bodygrip trap regs appear to be a way to fracture trapping by reducing the effectiveness of the equipment, raising costs and time required to run traps and ultimately disenfranchise trappers from other sportsman.
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/trap/documen...ipbrochure.pdf

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/wm/wm0002.pdf

Other tidbits:

Fifteen states (WI, CT, ME, MD, MI, MO, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, and UT) require trappers to set body grip traps elevated above the ground or in the water to protect dogs. Ten other states (AL, AZ, CA, CO, DE, FL, MA, OK, WA, and WV) prohibit the use of body grip traps large enough to kill dogs on land. Tens of thousands of trappers in those 25 states successfully use body grip traps set off the ground or use non-lethal foothold traps that allow the release of non-target catches.

Nine states (IN, MI, MO, NJ, ND, OH, PA, WV, and WI) allow non-lethal cable restraint snares. Eighteen other states don?t allow any snares for land animals. Trappers in those 27 states have adapted and it has not affected fur harvest.

Thank you for the information on this possible change to current trapping regs I will contact my representative and tell him not to support this in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizslaowner View Post
    Thank you for the information on this possible change to current trapping regs I will contact my representative and tell him not to support this in any way.
    That's didn't come as a surprise.

Why would you support regulations that have been proven to work for trappers and Dog owners right next door...for 17 yrs

For the sake of both your dogs & the dogs of others, I sincerely hope that your attempt fails. "It can't happen to me" has always been a fool's credo.
    Dogs . . . I've loved them all . . . the good, the bad, the mediocre, the spectacular. God never made a more loyal & trusting creature than a dog. No small wonder that the same three letters spell two words very important to me . . .

Please do not support this bill. Enough loss of rights already. And enough lies about false alarms and propaganda against sportsmen.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Why do you feel you should get to do as you please and tell others they cant?. Maybe we should not hunt dogs? Good lord already. Threads like this are just sad.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Quote Originally Posted by FCSpringer View Post
    Threads like this are just sad.
    No, I for one appreciate learning about things I am not aware of.

I thought discussion was what forums were for ? If one side or another is the way to go, more discussion will only make that more apparent.

Odd to lament the disappearance of rights on one hand and then move to limit participation on the other.

The same body grip trap that is used to catch a raccoon, bobcat or beaver. Does not have to catch a dog. Restrictive openings and deeper recess of traps is working for many other states. For hunters and trappers.

In three trapping seasons-- 18 months. MN DNR has confirmed 18 dog deaths.
    WI has reported 3. They have 3,000 more trappers and significantly less land.
    They are still a top for producer, they have not experienced further restricitions on body grip trap sets since they-- the Wi trappers-- helped put in place their regulations in 1998.

This is the way anti hunting groups go about their obsession.
    One step at a time, if this bill passes it will be the leg hold traps next.
    What better way to support their cause then to come on a forum where just about all of us have dog (dogs) and care very much for our companions.
    I for one am VERY suspicious, you guys do what you like.