Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the best days of the year

Default One of the best days of the year

Sitting here finishing off the first coffee of the day as I prepare to head to the preserve for what is usually one of my more rewarding days of the year. One of the pheasant preserves in conjunction with PF does a youth hunt each year. I have helped many times over the years and Copper has always performed great. It is always nice to see youngsters out hunting and especially when it is their first bird. Lots of excitement there.

Hopefully most of the kids make it out as it is currrently 47 degrees with 20 MPH NE winds and gusts pushing close to 30 and then some rain forecasted later. Sounds like a perfect day to me but afraid some of the parents won't see it the same.

Keep looking forward to the day my daughter can participate in this hunt but she just isn't quite strong enough yet so looks like it will have t be next year when the new pup will be partaking in his first of many to come youth hunts.

Will try to get some pics and update this thread during the day. Hope everyone has a great day as I know I will!

Matt

Goof for,you Matt , great to the next generation started !!!!

First run of the day. Had 7 flushes total and killed 2 and had one additional they we knocked down but ran and we never could find it. Here is a pic.

The old man is doing OK. Second hunt we had 5 flushes but only connected on 2 again. He hunted very well that round for sure. One more run and then some rightfully earned rest for him.

Great event and :cool pics: Love those springers!

Sounds like a good day.

Don't think I could keep up with teen-agers, if they kept replacing them.

They're all trying to look cool, but I bet it was a great time for them.

Nicely done, Sir.
    Kis
    For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year.

Third run complete. Flushed 7 and hit 4. Lots of ribbing going on with this group as there were some shots missed that shouldn't have been. Here is the picture.

Overall a great day of dog work and some very appreciative parents and kids.

Way to go Copper and thanks Matt for working with the youth!

A Springer, cool gray fall day, and pheasant hunting, it's just perfect!

How old is that pup now?

[QUOTE=FLDBRED;203465
    How old is that pup now?[/QUOTE]

Copper turned 11 in August. I wasn't real sure how he was going to make out this year as his eyesight has gotten worse and occasionally runs in to things around here. I took him out last weekend for a hen hunt to see if he was good enough to go. Showed he was. I think he must have heard the rumors floating around the house about a new pup coming from FCSpringer and wanted to show he still had it!

I know the feeling, Dugan is now eleven, his heart is still in it but he is starting to show his age. Glad to see that Copper can still get it done.