Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy a LIC!!!!

Default Buy a LIC!!!!

Good article and one I agree with.

It would be nice if there were signs at state/federal parks to inform the public of where the funds come from when they are used from hunter dollars.

Or even something catchy like a "thank a hunter" type campaign. This would possibly bring the public to a better understanding as to how important hunting is to our public lands/conservation.

"Enjoy you time in nature? Thank a hunter!"

Nick
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Great read and oh so very true. Thanks for posting
    Pheasants Forever Life Member

And buy your duck stamps, even if you never use them. Thanks for sharing the article Wessl.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I see it here on the wildlife area and state fishing lake all the time. They use our toilets, camp sites, roads, cabins, etc and don't buy a hunting, fishing, or fur-harvesting license. They pick our plums, morels, and ornamental flora and pay not a cent. With each $20 license they would purchase, the budget would receive $80 or more. In that the matrix that determines what the state receives is partly based on population, area, AND license sales; it is important that we increase the portion that we have some control of. Folks complain about the cost of the license at $20 for 365 days of recreation, but they'll spend nearly $100 to take their family of 4 to the movies for a 3 hour tour! We need to get our priorities right!!!
    Trust the dog!

Troy Smith

I agree 250%

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Drifter View Post
    I see it here on the wildlife area and state fishing lake all the time. They use our toilets, camp sites, roads, cabins, etc and don't buy a hunting, fishing, or fur-harvesting license. They pick our plums, morels, and ornamental flora and pay not a cent. With each $20 license they would purchase, the budget would receive $80 or more. In that the matrix that determines what the state receives is partly based on population, area, AND license sales; it is important that we increase the portion that we have some control of. Folks complain about the cost of the license at $20 for 365 days of recreation, but they'll spend nearly $100 to take their family of 4 to the movies for a 3 hour tour! We need to get our priorities right!!!
    The down side is they well have a bigger and bigger say in the management of wildlife and hunting regs.

The parameters are still set by the USFWS. Not that they're not being taken over from the inside by non-hunting interests.
    Trust the dog!

Troy Smith

In Colorado they have commercials on TV explaining where the funding comes from for many of our parks. The commercial tells people to hug a Hunter or Fisherman if they are happy for open space. I think the adds are great and spread awareness to where the funding comes from.

We put up signs on all our properties! The thing about signs is that all too few people read them!!! I've always enjoyed the speech that my recently retired judge quoted every time I went to court with him. He would lecture the ticketed party saying: "when you enter a property that you don't own, it is your responsibility to read, understand, and follow the laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to that property". Far too many folks come to a property that is known to be "public" and think that anything goes! When they are signing the ticket, I usually explain that the area that they are abusing is open for hunting, fishing, and fur-harvesting. Those are the only primary uses. All other activities are regulated with many being prohibited. If we won't protect our own, who will???
    Trust the dog!

Troy Smith