Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back from the south!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default back from the south!

Well, we got back on Monday from our annual whirlwind upland tour, and it was as great as alwayss!
    We shot Sharptails, chukars, and of course a possession limit of roosters as well as a few released fbirds from a friend's pheasant farm.
    5 days of hard driving dogs, lots of miles, and dirty guns at the end of the day.
    Compared to last year's snowy cold weather however, this year was gorgeous, no jackets in the afternoons, mid 'teens Celsius, and enough wind to make things challenging!
    This marks my 50th year of pheasant hunting and it was my son's 25th birthday on this hunt, so we celebrated afterwards with a stogie as well- the last one I had before this year was when he was born.

Two taken with the the muzzle loader that was willed to my boy from my father- it's a mid 1800's Chance and Sons 14 gauge that he shoots once a year on this hunt then hangs up again untill next year- I took two with it as well.

The Westly Richards hammer double was as deadly as ever on roosters this year!

My hunting partner also shoots vintage SXS guns, but my son sticks to his trusty open choked 28 gauge!

You've got some marvelous traditions in your family, congratulations...they are a treasure, unique to you; rare and precious.

Sounds like a wonderful hunting trip, and some great variety. Did you use guides or are you that familiar with the areas you hunted?

Nice images, great trip.

Thank you.
    Kis
    For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year.

Thanks Kismet!
    Yes, my family is big on passing stuff down, for sure - my hunting knife was given to me in 1992 by my father when I got my first bighorn sheep draw, he brought it back from Germany in 1966, but never used it.
    I have carried it on every hunt since then!
    The Chance and Sons 14 gauge that my son now owns, was given to my father for Father's day in 1967, which was Canada's 100th year of Confederation.
    Some of the land we hunt is public land, and some private where a few friends have permission to hunt on.
    I have never used a paid guide , but certainly have had friends take me out for a day.
    One day I will make a big trip down south to the Dakotas or Montana to hunt birds however, and that may require a guide then.
    DHT
    Last edited by davidtodd; 10-31-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Very nice! Looks like a great trip and some lasting memories to me, thanks for sharing details and pics with us all.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post
    Very nice! Looks like a great trip and some lasting memories to me, thanks for sharing details and pics with us all.
    Every year is different, although we hunt the same places.
    One of my very good friends that I have hunted with for the last 15 years could not make it this year, and it saddened both of us.
    My buddy Steve hunted with us last year, and met up with us down south .
    he knows me from work. I asked Brian if it was okay if a friend hunted with us that day and he said "sure"!
    It turns out when he and Brian ( my absent friend) met, it was like old home week - they worked together 20 years ago!!
    Brian has a very goofy Griffon, and the two of them together keep a crew in stitches, for sure.
    This is Brian and myself years ago with Tramp
    That's my 28 gauge Mini Bobwhite in the pic.
    Last edited by davidtodd; 11-01-2014 at 12:02 AM.

David, you guys sure know how to go about a bird hunting adventure.
    Thanks for sharing and the pics.

I checked their regs and could not find a non resident season

They have turkey, pheasant, they have it all. I found a motel for 12 dollars Canadian a night. Great place.

Well , our 2018 southern hunt is round up for another year and we had good birds , Sharptails ,Huns, and even got in a great pass shoot session on ducks and snow geese!
    Canít post pics off my phone yet but will as soon as possible .
    We had one Golden with us and thre GSPís
    Last edited by davidtodd; 10-27-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidtodd View Post
    Well , our 2018 southern hunt is round up for another year and we had good birds , Sharptails ,Huns, and even got in a great pass shoot session on ducks and snow geese!
    Canít post pics off my phone yet but will as soon as possible .
    We had one Golden with us and thre GSPís
    Get those pics up ASAP really nice to see how a hard core hunter like yourself gets it done up in Canada!