Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 28ga in the sierra's

Those would be the very elusive mountain quail George. I believe Ca is the only state where you can bag more than 2 birds per day.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post
    I've hunted with SG and I must say he works quite well in the field.
    woof woof woof

I got 3 more mountain quail last friday but not seeing any bucks

Default Made my first mt quail trip

I didn't get any bird but had a great hike at 7000ft in beautiful country. I imagine there is a learning curve coming from hunting valley quail. It's something that I look forward to putting more time into. On a lighter note I did manage 4 native rainbows and earlier in the year my father in law bagged a grouse.

P.s Great pics

Nice on the native rainbows!!

Raining today, was out deer hunting and like always not seeing any...but did get into some mountain quail.....and mountain lion tracks

Im thinking these are a young mountain lion tracks

A friend has a 28 ga. that he let me shoot at club quail while he trained his dogs. I say, "shoot at" because I never cut a feather with it. Even club quail are tough in the 30 mph winds we had that day. I had a .410 SXS when I was in my 20s with the same experience. I killed one quail and a truck full of Coots at a DFG depredation Coot shoot they used to have at Gray Lodge. Swapped it for a 12' aluminum boat. That's a beautiful gun and excellent shooting.
    Sizing your gauge to the size of the bird makes the whole experience more enjoyable. The best example was in an episode of "The Lower Forty" out of "Field and Stream" magazine back in the 1950s or so. The Lower Forty club got together and had a competitive shoot with smooth bore .22s shooting grasshoppers with bird shot. That story has always struck me as a fun day. They still make the smooth bore .22s too.
    Last edited by calamari; 10-27-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Got 3 (only 2 in pic) today but was wanting to get a fall turkey as well.

ran into at lest 4 coveys but cover is so thick it was hard getting shoots off, you could hear em flush but no see em... and talk about steep canyons...but pursuit payed off

28er harvested a few more mountain quail today

Lots of birds, I mean a lot! one big covey flushing but they stayed low so couldnt get a lot of shots off, birds were calling back and fourth most of day so that helped....

Last edited by sooty grouse; 12-30-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kworth86 View Post
    I didn't get any bird but had a great hike at 7000ft in beautiful country. I imagine there is a learning curve coming from hunting valley quail. It's something that I look forward to putting more time into. On a lighter note I did manage 4 native rainbows and earlier in the year my father in law bagged a grouse.

P.s Great pics
    Kworth, your best bet is to look for mountain quail at the 3500-5000ft areas or just below the snow line