Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Boar's Nest--week 9

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    How was the Boar's Nest Hunt - hopefully productive and fun.?
    6 birds bagged the first day between 5 guys with 5 dogs. 1 bird lost to a badger hole.

1 pen-reared bird bagged the 2nd day. It had apparently escaped a nearby game preserve.

We woke up at 5am Sunday morning and drove back to KS.

Several factors worked against us, sort of a perfect storm if you will, some of which I take responsibility for. The one thing that hurt us the most probably was the weather, which is obviously out of our control. Bird numbers aren't what I'd come to expect of SD hunting, but from what I understand, much of that side of the state is in the same boat. I knew they'd had a couple down years when I booked the trip, so that's on me. I also let negativity creep in when trying to temper my expectations from Draper to Howard. The property was very "birdy" and in a better year, I suspect there will be more birds there.

We saw great numbers in Platte and an insane number of birds in Draper. Personally, the Platte hunting is what I'd consider the perfect "pace" and cover for my dogs. That said, I'll make it out to Draper as many times as I can in the future just to see the sheer #'s. Only difference is instead of missing 20 shots in a row next time, I'm going to video the hunts or take pics of the flushes...my shotgun is of no use to me when pheasants are flying high over my head

I won't book a block of dates again due to the weather experience. I'll tentatively select a week next time and leave room for adjustment if the weather forecast is like it was during our visit.
    Last edited by kansasbrittany; 12-15-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Chad, it was nice to meet you and your boys Saturday evening. Too bad we didn't get a chance to hunt together for a day or two. Maybe next year?

BTW, don't let Chad's handle of KansasBrittany fool you. He doesn't have a Brittany in the stable.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Chad, it was nice to meet you and your boys Saturday evening. Too bad we didn't get a chance to hunt together for a day or two. Maybe next year?

BTW, don't let Chad's handle of KansasBrittany fool you. He doesn't have a Brittany in the stable.
    Here now Zeb, I had 2 that passed after I got the current dogs. Don't worry, I'll find my way back "home" in time

It was nice meeting you as well. We can hunt together next time, but I'm afraid it won't be next year. In fact, by the time I make it back to SD, I should be able to show you my next/new brit

Quote Originally Posted by kansasbrittany View Post
    6 birds bagged the first day between 5 guys with 5 dogs. 1 bird lost to a badger hole.

1 pen-reared bird bagged the 2nd day. It had apparently escaped a nearby game preserve.

We woke up at 5am Sunday morning and drove back to KS.

Several factors worked against us, sort of a perfect storm if you will, some of which I take responsibility for. The one thing that hurt us the most probably was the weather, which is obviously out of our control. Bird numbers aren't what I'd come to expect of SD hunting, but from what I understand, much of that side of the state is in the same boat. I knew they'd had a couple down years when I booked the trip, so that's on me. I also let negativity creep in when trying to temper my expectations from Draper to Howard. The property was very "birdy" and in a better year, I suspect there will be more birds there.

We saw great numbers in Platte and an insane number of birds in Draper. Personally, the Platte hunting is what I'd consider the perfect "pace" and cover for my dogs. That said, I'll make it out to Draper as many times as I can in the future just to see the sheer #'s. Only difference is instead of missing 20 shots in a row next time, I'm going to video the hunts or take pics of the flushes...my shotgun is of no use to me when pheasants are flying high over my head

I won't book a block of dates again due to the weather experience. I'll tentatively select a week next time and leave room for adjustment if the weather forecast is like it was during our visit.
    Yea the weather kind of screwed you a little. Jones county has spoiled me a little the last few years. Unfortunately I will probably never get to hunt that cattail patch again. That is a neighbor to the farmer were we hunt. He allows us to hunt it and a section of grass near it. Well Saturday we had a little run in with his brother who is a real tool. The jury is out on further access. Too bad he kinda went nuts. Oh we'll that is probably the third or fourth biggest flush I have witnessed up there the last ten years or so.

Ps don't feel too bad, four of the guys went to Pierre and hunted private on Sunday. 6+hrs 1 bird

Quote Originally Posted by carptom1 View Post
    Yea the weather kind of screwed you a little. Jones county has spoiled me a little the last few years. Unfortunately I will probably never get to hunt that cattail patch again. That is a neighbor to the farmer were we hunt. He allows us to hunt it and a section of grass near it. Well Saturday we had a little run in with his brother who is a real tool. The jury is out on further access. Too bad he kinda went nuts. Oh we'll that is probably the third or fourth biggest flush I have witnessed up there the last ten years or so.

Ps don't feel too bad, four of the guys went to Pierre and hunted private on Sunday. 6+hrs 1 bird
    Yep, the weather did us no favors. There was another outfitter in town that was apparently having similar luck.

Tom,

I can't believe Shawn et al only harvested one bird! Glad I didn't participate. Also, the roads back to MN were in rough shape on Monday.