Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Apple trees

Mine were all that typical 6-7' tall potted tree. I got them from a nursery and wally world. Wallmart trees sucked. Mine now are 10-12 feet tall and a canopy as wide as a truck bed. I bet from the honey crisp we have had as many as 15-20 bushel from 2 trees at least. The nursery was about 35$ per tree, but also guarantees them. If they die in a year, you get a new one. I am going to do a good prune on mine this year for the first time. They are way too thick. And pop in 4-6 more as well. I will not get dwarf ones again. Semi dwarf has been a nice tree. My dads are 12-15 feet tall and 12' or so wide canopy. Took some time, but now it is paying off. First year you need to keep them watered well. I also put the ground rubber style mat, or tree ring around them. They work great for grass and weeds next to the trunk. And keep the soil moist. Mulch can mold and kill them. Been there done that. Killed some trees we had moved with too much mulch. Raked it away and saved some. So I never do that anymore. Just those mats. They breathe, allow moisture, and keep out weeds.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Default Apple Trees

I haven't had much luck with apple trees. Make sure you control the weeds and put 1/4 inch square mesh around them to prevent the rodents from eating the bark no matter what time of year. We have two old trees on our place with a crabtree. The deer love the apples and I place a camera on the tree to see what comes in. Make sure you plant more than one for polination and don't plant close to evergreens they don't like each other.
    RLH

Honey crisp harvest.

Made a couple pies a week or so ago, and sent two huge boxes of the nicest ones home with friends. One big cooler in mason jars as pie filling. 12 jars so far, and this left to do. Should end up with about 50-60 pies worth of canned filling. There is at least this much still on the 2 trees and equal on the ground. These 2 trees are about 8 years old. Semi dwarf honey crisp. The bees that made them are filling up the hives with the fruit now as well. I have 6 trees out in my food plot that I have not even hit yet. Deer are loving it.

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

PS, Just planted 4 more this year. 3 winter sweet and another honey crisp.

Well, 37 jars of honeycrisp pie filling, and only about half done . I did walk out to the food plot to see how my other trees were doing. Not one apple left on the ground. The deer ate every single one. But there is some on the tree yet, and should still drop fruit for a few weeks. I will have to find a couple later producers to add in the mix. I have one crab apple that is a large standard, and that has lots of fruit yet. It takes a little time, but it pays off. And before you know it, your enjoying your work.

Here is the crab apple. Should drop for a few weeks yet.

Man good job. I appreciate the lesson as I am going to get some planted on my property. Send me some pie

Quote Originally Posted by RedLeg Hunter View Post
    I haven't had much luck with apple trees. Make sure you control the weeds and put 1/4 inch square mesh around them to prevent the rodents from eating the bark no matter what time of year. We have two old trees on our place with a crabtree. The deer love the apples and I place a camera on the tree to see what comes in. Make sure you plant more than one for polination and don't plant close to evergreens they don't like each other.
    RLH
    You are correct. I treat for cedar apple rust all the time on apple, crabapple, and hawthorn trees. Them and the evergreens do not get along. I hate spraying fungicide in the game fields but it makes the trees do so much better.
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!

The only things you need to do are plant it correct height. Too high tree won't die, to low tree won't grow. Do not mulch next to trunk, only out around the canopy. Protect with tree wrap and wire for mice and rabbits. Steak it and fence it in. Keep well watered the first year and drought years. Once it gets tall enough where deer can not destroy it, and the tree has bark your good. A buck can trash it in a minute, and they love to eat them. About the pine trees, Mine are surrounded by them, but not next to any. Pines are acidic, and the dropped needles kill any growth below next to the tree. So yes keep 20 feet away from expected area of pines at predicted full growth. After I did this stuff, I have not lost one apple tree. 12 now. And some crab apple trees. I planted some American plumb as well and they had good fruit as well. I forgot to take a pic. By the time I noticed and went back with the camera, the deer ate all the plumbs. Next year I will try to get them first LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by carptom1 View Post
    Man good job. I appreciate the lesson as I am going to get some planted on my property. Send me some pie