Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruffed grouse?

Quote Originally Posted by calamari View Post
    Too bad because I would have told you where I've both seen and shot Sooty Grouse.
    The reason I asked is because I knew Cal is always open and honest with any knowledge he may have on a subject.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post
    The reason I asked is because I knew Cal is always open and honest with any knowledge he may have on a subject.
    Kind words QH. Thanks!

Here's the link to the DFW NW region. They show a field office in Eureka which is where I'd start.

https://r1.dfg.ca.gov/portal/

The unit biologists that work out of Shasta Valley should go west far enough to have Ruff Grouse habitat in their unit assuming they really exist in Calif. The main number for Shasta Valley is (530)459-3926.
    Thinking about it, contacting CSU Humboldt may have someone on staff with knowledge of any bird sightings. There used to be a healthy population of hook and bullet people there.

Thanks Cal. Work has put a hault to any extended trips for the time being but I'll definitely be making some calls to get the scoop. 2,000 tons of hot mix asphalt are coming in tomorrow morning, wish me luck and pray for weather so this paving can be done with for the year.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

100+ deg. air temps and 200+ deg. asphalt! You do know how to have a good time. It'll pay for a trip someplace nice in the coming months. CSUH clubs have some possibilities for info.

I hate to see arguments on here or people accusing each other of this and that lets be honest aren't we all in this together? Shoot their are few enough of us left that truely care about birds habitat and dogs. I have been accused of trolling and all of the above just for asking questions....Honeslty I just love bird hunting and my dog and I am as many of us are willing to share information on areas...I have boot in the boot leather and been given good advice on this site. I have seen Cal post many helpful posts...why argue? There are enough non hunters trying to kill our sport and passion we all truelly need to stick together.

Resurrecting this old thread because last September I finally was curious enough to drive about 500 miles north and see for myself if there are ruffs in California. Indeed there are! It was a short trip, only two days, and I didn't have time to find any old burns or cuts but we flushed 4 grouse and brought a fabeled California ruff home with us.

IMG_20180921_163425_128.jpg

IMG_20180922_125224_093.jpg
    Last edited by quail hound; 07-24-2019 at 09:19 PM.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very nice!!