Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recall Pen Advice

Great info oldandnew. What i have decided to do rather than taking the runners off is build up the area in front of the pen with dirt and make the funnel basically even with the earth. i will build it up with dirt as to not change the elevation to drastic. Hope it works!!!

I will keep you posted.

put a flat rock in front of the entrance so as they go along the bottom edge of the pen they have to climb up on it

I did that and it solved the exact same issue. I left the skids so I could move it every few days and keep them from living over bird dung

Has anyone had any success using similar cage like this on the picture(with pigeon type doors instead of a funnel) for recalling and recapturing Bobwhite's?

Pigeon trap might catch them....but a predator will figure it out just as quick, some day you will have a fat possum with quail wings in you pen, to big to get out! In my opinion there are not any savings in not doing it right. A call back johnny is a home, the pigeon trap is impossible to stay stationary, service, and meet the needs of the quail. I think it is also impossible to train a dog without one or have access to acreage where wild birds are available to train on. Predictable wild coveys are better!