Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Kerrybrook's Wisdom of the Ancients (Pearl)

A few more pics from Pearl and I’s adventures this fall so far
    “The Champ” with one of our roosters ona soggy day

Coming in with another

A proud limit

It’s not always roosters!

Posing at dawn while we wait for the ducks

“I hate Sundays!”

Nice pictures as usual!

Thanks FLDBRED!

Minus 18 C (0F) is definitely on the cold side of a usual Nova Scotian pheasant hunt, but it’s the last week goddamit so Pearl and I headed out to watch a sparkling sunrise before heading down into the cover.

The colder the better as far as Pearl is concerned. Loving it...

Couldn’t shoot birds over unsafe river ice, so had to let a fair number go. But finally managed to box one in to prevent a river flush. Got him!

Dave

Nova Scotia pheasant season ended on Saturday. Having lost permission on a few important covers this year, but gained only one new one, I pressured my remaining spots that much harder and the last few weeks have seen me hunting very well educated roosters who were, frankly tired of my bull####! At one spot in particular I am quite convinced that I could not so much as firmly close my shot gun action without sending them scurrying down the ditches to the river where they would flutter across just over the water and sneak off into safety. By the last week I had disabled the ‘beep’ when I lock my car, discarded my whistle entirely and was working each spot surgically and methodically into the wind. We were getting birds, but usually only one and we worked goddam hard for them! So I was pleasantly surprised mid-week when I stumbled on a covey of relatively naive young of year roosters, and was very pleased to shoot about the loveliest double I could hope for.

Saturday, the last day of the season, that spot was hunted by others, so we went to another spot that we haven’t hunted that hard due to frequent flooding and an unfortunately timed spreading of manure. We managed 8 hen flushes, but no roosters. Still, after a great season over Pearl in the prime of her fourth year, it was not a chore to seek solace with a piece of farm country diner pie and coffee.

Now on to a couple of grouse (not our forte!) and some late season ducks if we can find ‘em and get at ‘em safely. Then starts the countdown to October 1 2019 when we start it all again. In the meantime I will be visiting the land registry to chase down a few leads on landowners who I hope to be able to convince to tolerate my silly chasing around a few birds while they work at making a living from their land.

Dave

“Quid Pro Quo Clarisse.... Yes or no?”

LOL.

Great report...I wish it were easier to hunt Nova Scotia!