Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerrybrook's Wisdom of the Ancients (Pearl)

Congrats on the MH Gatzby!
    I had a nice little hunt with Pearl this morning. It's amazing to watch her learn in leaps and bounds! One ruffie and one rooster. Her intensity on scent is a sight to behold!

Dave

A Perfect Truth from one of your earlier posts:

I could not be more pleased to be back to pheasant hunting with my own dog. I am whole once again.

Well said, Sir. And a wonderful journey it seems to be.

Congratulations.
    Last edited by Kismet; 11-09-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    Kis
    For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year.

Pearl and her buddy Tori rousted this rooster from a deep ditch before he could get a chance to skip into the standing corn. This is certainly the first of many that these tw youngsters will tag-team!

All of Nova Scotia is now open for pheasants as of last Sunday. Still lots of standing corn, and the weekend was busy, but we're still managing to scratch some down here and there. They're still picking apples in some places too, so permission on some of my usual spots is going to be delayed. A few pics
    Pearl with a single this morning

When I was setting up for the picture above, Pearl grabbed the bird out of the fork in the tree and brought it to me - GOOD GIRL (even though your ruined the photo op!).

A rainy day double.

Pearl's buddy Tori retrieved this fat mallard for me.

Great story and pictures! Please keep the updates coming.

Pearl and I picked up a single this morning. This was the first one that she delivered to hand, so that was a nice success for the day even though we didn't get our limit. She took off on me though chasing a pheasant with a broken wing. I was pretty worried about her when I couldn't hear her bell anymore. She wasn't gone that long, but it sure felt like a long time to me! I worry about roads and coyote snares. It's time to step up her collar conditioning work I think to tighten up her whistle sits and her recall. We saw some wood ducks too, but by the time I swapped lead for steel they had taken to the wing.

Very very windy for our hunt today. Pearl did well, considering that scent was blasting all over the place and it was impossible to hear birds rustling around. Her responsiveness to the whistle was much better today, except when she really had a snootful of hot pheasant scent.
    We pushed out to a riverbank across a cut bean field and I stopped her before we got too close to the bank because I figured the birds would be there. I put her on a sit-stay and went to the bank than called her in. She went wild and flushed a dozen roosters in one big ball of hens a and roosters. Just when it looked like I'd have to pass entirely on the flush, one rooster peeled off downwind and I knocked off a tail feather with my first, corrected my lead, and got him on the second. She retrieved nicely from a slough of cattails. The rest of them circled off farther down the riverbank and we went after them. That time the roosters flushed on the outside of a screen of alders and hens on the inside - typical! I saw them go down in cattails on the shoreline, no more screen of alders there! We worked up to them and I knocked my second rooster down into the river. Pearl brought it to shore, but not to hand, so we have a bit of work there. That's a limit for Nova Soctia, so I couldn't shoot any of the three more roosters she stumbled on on the way back to the car, but it was fun to watch her working them. A club sandwich at the local diner and then home to clean birds and rake leaves.

Well Pearl you have some mighty big shoes to fill but it seems like your giving it your all! Way to go!

Love the stories and pictures.

Thanks FLDBRED - we're having fun along the way for sure!

We hunted yesterday for an hour and she flushed on hen beautifully. We were outfoxed by some others that I think busted us because of Pearl's bell, but I'm not willing to take chances just now in a heavy deer hunting area so if a few missed birds are the price we must pay for an added measure of safety, well so be it.

But she wore the e-collar today and I found her much more responsive to whiste sit and recall signals (without any e-collar use). We are still workign through collar conditioning, but I think she's starting to understand. She also did not chase the hen very far when it flushed, although that may have been as much by virtue of the dense cover as it was by improved obedience. But I'll take it!

Dave