Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pay to Play Kansas Quail any Suggestions?

No feathers ruffled here. May have sounded like it but none ruffled. I should have just said pick up the atlas and forget the pay to play because there are plenty of spots that are good if you do some scouting.

Steve is right, quail hunting is a lot of fun!!

I think it is a perfectly fair question. I don't know much about that end of the guiding spectrum and my only contact would be Jim Gourley in Lincoln area. I think setterdogs.com is his website. You have to start somewhere, and being from elsewhere, you have to ask questions as they come to mind. Good luck.
    Trust the dog!

Troy Smith

Good but tough question. The pay hunts in Kansas are primarily on what are called controlled shooting areas (state law terminology) which are required to replace every bird shot with another bird. These replacement birds are all pen raised so pay to play hunts in Kansas are of mostly pen raised birds. Another tough factor for you is that quail populations are generally down due to drought. Now if you find a place you think looks good for quail, there's nothing wrong with offering money to induce getting permission to hunt.
    - From the office of Colt, Stoeger, Browning & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

I have been quail hunting with Setters since I was a kid, so 40 some years.

Think you will like Setters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdFIJwN8z3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r079FpanYIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0VAsYodnc
    Last edited by SetterNut; 07-29-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    Steve

Default quail

if you come to hunt, not ride around or spend your time in the caf? lamenting that the quail are not running up and down the road, with effort, you will get into some quail as long as you have a dog that will hunt. if it were me, you have the atlas, look on it for areas that indicate quail, next, during mid to late sept. there will be reports out that indicate for quail both the calling and roadside sightings for all the routes, areas, pick the areas that have the best results and the area that seems to have the most plaaces to hunt that typically hold quail. get out and hunt, you will see some birds, maybe a lot of birds, no need to pay, just get off you butt, do your homework, you will be rewarded. time of the year doesn't have much affect, come when ya can

cheers

There still exists in this world some really fine wild quail hunting, but it is private and it is costly.

Under the right conditions quail can really produce and there are some elements happening right now that could lead to some good public hunting in the near future for those of us that cannot afford the guided hunt on private land. If I could only walk, a five to ten covey day would be really nice. Right now I am happy just to see some broods and hoping to see huntable numbers in a year or two.
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

Awesome pictures setter nut, Thanks for the advice Mr Byrd getting off my butt for hunting has never been a problem spent all last fall exploring Wyoming, looking for chukar spots is about as tough as it gets to compared to flatland walking.

Andy I wasn't saying your a city slicker. I am just saying that's what the farmers would say about you.

I am also not saying that pay to play is bad at all. I am simply saying it's not normal down here and many would think its strange if somebody asked them about it.

I sure understand where you are coming from though. Driving 10 hours spending money on gas, food, lodging and then wandering aimlessly through fields not finding birds is tough. I have done plenty of that, and I live here

I have to ask though, if your planning on payin to hunt why not stay in SD where numbers are superior? Unless you want to hunt quail I suppose.

I suspect there are people that would pay some serious money for a wild quail hunt that would put fifteen or so coveys in the air in a day.
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City