Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking in -- a few solo hunts around Christmas

Default Checking in -- a few solo hunts around Christmas

Just me and Gunner . . . hunting a new piece of ground only recently discovered. An absolutely beautiful set up, managed for wildlife, and simply loaded with pheasants. It's my new honey hole, only 15 minutes from home.

- Nate

Atta Boy Nate, great pics and glade you posted them. Looks like you had a great time. Gunner look good too.

Nice going NAte.
    How do you all do it?
    I need to get over my people phobia and knock on some doors.
    VC Max vom Schutzenknapp, VJP 75, HZP 190, VGP 303 Prize I 4H Nose, HN, BTR, NA 112 Prize I, 204 Prize I, 2014 SMCNA Hall of Fame dog youngest inductee.

Baja vom Wamsbach, VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112 Prize I. A diamond in he rough!

Knocking on a door and introducing yourself to a complete stranger certainly isn't the easiest of things to do. I recall, when back in my 20's, being really nervous about it. Now, well, it's old hat given the thousands of attempts I've made.

Interesting enough, I think at least, is I've very real fear of public speaking. I'm genuine introvert, don't prefer the spotlight, but am aces when one on one or one on a few. I enjoy and can generally win the room over, and have honed this craft over the past few decades. Be authentic, genuine, utterly respectful, and I think you too will find most welcoming.

Give it a try in '14!
    - Nate

There are 2 places I want to check before this season is over. One is in Iowa falls and one is down the road. Want to go for a ride.......wink wink! Show a newbie how it is done? LMAO. Kidding. I just have to do it.

I have a friend that is retired military. He uses challenge coins as his calling card. I am not retired Military, but maybe I can do the same. I am just a chicken.thats the facts.
    VC Max vom Schutzenknapp, VJP 75, HZP 190, VGP 303 Prize I 4H Nose, HN, BTR, NA 112 Prize I, 204 Prize I, 2014 SMCNA Hall of Fame dog youngest inductee.

about 5 years ago i walked up to a farmers door and asked to hunt a peice of his land,,,, he yelled at me and said, DID'NT YOU SEE THE DAMN SIGN 2 MILES DOWN THE ROAD? i was thinking to myself if i would have seen the sign i wouldnt be here!!! lol, well he yelled at my for about 5 min. before slamming the door in my face. so i just havent got the nerve up the knock on anymore doors. over the years all my private ground has dwindled away. my private P.F. ground is now a private lease deal for the big wallets. i do have one nice farm near my house im going to send my daughter up to the door lol.

Sorry Nate. Didnt intend for this to get off track.

But thanks for giving me one more fear Roscoe!

Funny thing is, the place in IF I was told the dude would probably say yes. But I am still afraid.

Nice Nate, a close place for a quickie now and then

I got out over X-mas down south, the same place I sent you down to last fall. Nearly the same result. I walked, walked and walked some more. Saw very few tracks. Then finally cut a few fresh tracks heading in a general direction.

I SLOWLY hunted that way and over the course of about 10 -12 minutes, there were 30+ birds getting up all around me, close to the river again. It was amazing. the most in one rise was 9. Then a step and three more. Then stand still 30 seconds, take step and 3 more, etc, etc. In all those birds, only one rooster, which I let fly. It must have been hit hard this season to see that many birds and only one rooster.

And, I have seen Nate work his door knocking magic more than once. I think he could probably give a class on it. But, to be fair Nate, I think you left one thing out, your closer.....Gunner! I believe twice now I have been with you that landowners have asked to see your dog and Gunner sealed the deal

Quote Originally Posted by IA at heart View Post
    I SLOWLY hunted that way and over the course of about 10 -12 minutes, there were 30+ birds getting up all around me, close to the river again. It was amazing. the most in one rise was 9. Then a step and three more. Then stand still 30 seconds, take step and 3 more, etc, etc. In all those birds, only one rooster, which I let fly. It must have been hit hard this season to see that many birds and only one rooster.

And, I have seen Nate work his door knocking magic more than once. I think he could probably give a class on it. But, to be fair Nate, I think you left one thing out, your closer.....Gunner! I believe twice now I have been with you that landowners have asked to see your dog and Gunner sealed the deal
    Yea, a 30+ to 1 hen to rooster ratio is certainly indication of some hunting pressure. Hopefully a few of those wise 'ol roosters elected to run in front of you too.

And yes, there's no doubt that having Gunner in the truck has helped me secure some permission. From the way I enter the driveway, to the way I park the truck, to where I have Gunner sit (when in the cab), to how I approach the house . . . it's all planned, and in my experiences, lends to greater procurement of ground. All still authentic. Nothing disingenuous, nor "lucky", as I'm a firm believer in both preparation and creation of opportunity.
    - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe71 View Post
    about 5 years ago i walked up to a farmers door and asked to hunt a peice of his land,,,, he yelled at me and said, DID'NT YOU SEE THE DAMN SIGN 2 MILES DOWN THE ROAD? i was thinking to myself if i would have seen the sign i wouldnt be here!!! lol, well he yelled at my for about 5 min. before slamming the door in my face. so i just havent got the nerve up the knock on anymore doors. over the years all my private ground has dwindled away. my private P.F. ground is now a private lease deal for the big wallets. i do have one nice farm near my house im going to send my daughter up to the door lol.

I used to be nervous as hell when knocking on doors but it really doesnt bother me anymore.

There will be the buttheads but most are friendly unless you catch them on a bad day. Ive even had most apologize to me if they are telling me no (ie they have it leased already, have family coming etc).

It makes it even easier if you are by yourself. Just dont go directly at lunch time, dinner time, early in the morning time, when the weather is miserable time (they dont want to hold their door open when its 14 degrees and the wind is howling 30mph) if its 50 and sunny they'll probably come outside to talk to you etc.

Anyways I just laugh when I run across the butt heads. I ran into one last year and he was such an ass I want to go back this year. I know its wrong but I was very nice, the guy was just a dick. He wouldnt remember me from last year so next time Im out his way and by myself Im probably going to stop again. Im sure if you ran into him in the grocery store or out in public Id still think he was a dick.

But to the original poster -- nice find.