Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 16 ga. Ammo

Default 16 ga. Ammo

I know we previously had the discussion regarding 16 ga. loads. But the question I have is: Where is the best place to purchase 16 ga. shells, both selection and price??

I need to pick up some low base 7 1/2 or 8 shot for clays and doves. I'd also like to buy get some field loads. Either the Federal Wing-Shok HV Pheasant Forever loads or the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads. I'll also need some Federal Ultra-Shok HV Steel loads.

I'll be looking in the Dakotas or Minnesota. Here in Aberdeen I can buy the Federal PF loads and the Fiocchi's for $14.99. Low base Federal or Estate run $8-10. Maybe that's as good as I'll find them.

George; I just checked Cabala's and your local shop has them beat big time. a couple of bucks easy. The going rate around here on clay&dove loads Is about 7 bucks a box of 25. That is 20 gauge and 16's should not be much more.---Bob
    Watching a Brittany Work Is like Watching Beauty Unfold.
    I Always Trust My Brittany Tony, He Knows More Than I Do.
    I may be old, but I have not grown up yet

I live in the Mankato Mn area and it is darn hard to find 16g shells locally for any reasonable price. gander mountain is the worst and scheels is barely better.

Fortunately I was at a small bait shop in Northern Wi a few years back and for some reason they had about 30 total boxes of shotgun ammo and 10 of those were RGL's for 7.99 a box so I bought them all and have been reloading the hulls at home. I have to believe they must have purchased them by mistake.

IMO the best place for both price and selection is reloading in the basement.
    Last edited by DennyJ; 05-17-2009 at 09:15 AM.

From what I have seen, you will not do much better.
    ________
    Honda rc165
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 02-18-2011 at 02:58 AM.

wal mart sells a federal load, possibly 1 oz of 6's, for $5.99. Not an ideal load, but I am going to shoot it at early season pheasants, as well as sharpies and ruffed grouse...I believe it is about 1200 fps...worth having few cases of that for $6/box...

Quote Originally Posted by benelli-banger View Post
    wal mart sells a federal load, possibly 1 oz of 6's, for $5.99. Not an ideal load, but I am going to shoot it at early season pheasants, as well as sharpies and ruffed grouse...I believe it is about 1200 fps...worth having few cases of that for $6/box...
    WalMart may not have cheap 16 ga in stock, but any store which sells ammo can order them for you. Ask a supervisor at the Sporting Goods section. Usually takes about a week, and no shipping charge. Expect to pay about $6/box,
    Analog guy in a digital world.

The Wal-Mart here is if you can get someone to take care of you. I waited 20 minutes Tuesday in Sporting Goods and never seen a soul. Finally went to a different store not a Wal-Mart and got what I needed in 5 minutes.---Bob

I think you are doing good getting Fiocchi and Federals for $14.99. If you can get low base shells for $6 -$7 a box your doing really well. The last time I was in Amarillo, TX. I bought several boxes of Remington Game Loads for $6 in Wal-Mart. Also, I found Remington Long Range Express of $13.75 a box at another sporting good store, can't remember the name. Gander wanted $19/box for the same stuff. The big name sporting goods stores; Cabelas, Gander and Bass Pro are going to take you for a ride.

George, I was at the super low discount house here in Spokane today. The low base Winchester 7.5 and 8 were 7.99 per box of 25. The Winchester High Base, like your Federal PF loads were 16.99, 4-5-6 shot. I don't get there much as it is about 3 miles from my home Wal-Mart is 4 City Blocks. But with the service at Wal-Mart lately, that is I may be going there more. I wanted to get my Hunting and Fishing License, that is why I waited for 20 minutes at Wal-Mart.---Bob

I too bought several...actually 18 boxes of Winchester 1 1/8 6's from Wal-Mart(s) in Amarillo. They were having a sale on 16ga and I bought all each store had left at 6.99 a box. Academy has the Remington Long Range Express at a great price. Like Badger said...it's around $14. I'm in Midland for the next few days and will check the Academy here.
    JMc
    Fritch, TX