Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mearns Quail?

Quote Originally Posted by Frangler View Post
    I'm not sure how the normal areas of Southern Arizona are for Mearns this year but I have heard good reports and they had good moisture at the right times in most of Mearns country this past summer. I managed to pick up a slam a couple weeks ago but 11:00 AM!! It was the first time I had ever accomplished the slam. I found some good sized coveys of Mearns (20+) with a good number of 8-12 bird coveys. I was hunting an unfamiliar area but the Mearns quail were in the habitat that one would think they would be in; Oak lined draws with Bear grass, some Yucca, Catclaw, Juniper and tall warm season grasses with light to moderate grazing. I only hunted Mearns one morning and a few afternoons and jumped 2 to 3 covey's per outing. I didn't find very much scratching however and most crops were filled with small seeds and hoppers... Gambel's numbers seemed pretty good but hadn't formed "Super Covey's" yet. I did get into fair numbers of Scalies and even manage to hit a mixed covey of Gambel's and Scaled quail. The quail hunting seems to be much improved from last year in the area I was hunting.

Three different quail in one day..... I got to do that. Awesome
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Good for you Frangel,

I 'm glade you had a good time and got into the birds. Did you have a guide? Dave brown????
    Thanks jmac. No I didn't have a guide, just my girlfriend and I.

Quote Originally Posted by SetterNut View Post
    Three different quail in one day..... I got to do that. Awesome
    Its possible in Ca too just different quail.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post
    Its possible in Ca too just different quail.
    Yes it is possible to do this in Ca. I still want to one day get up after your mountain Qual. They are a bit bigger than other Quail are they not????

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Yes it is possible to do this in Ca. I still want to one day get up after your mountain Qual. They are a bit bigger than other Quail are they not????
    Yep, mature mountain quail are between a valley quail and chukar in size.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

So, it sounds like I still need to hunt:
    -Scaled
    -Mearns
    -Valley
    -Mountain
    -Gambles

So how many places would I have to hunt to get them all?
    Steve

The hardest of them will be mearns and moutain quail I believe. If you do the home work and get a little help from guys who may have knowledge I think you may get all listed quail in 2 or 3 areas. The problem I see is that where multiple species ranges overlap it means that its probably marginal for one or more of the species in the area. Where all 3 (Ca, gambels, mtn) overlap here can be great for all 3 species but not as great as could be had in each respective prime range if that makes sense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post
    The hardest of them will be mearns and moutain quail I believe. If you do the home work and get a little help from guys who may have knowledge I think you may get all listed quail in 2 or 3 areas. The problem I see is that where multiple species ranges overlap it means that its probably marginal for one or more of the species in the area. Where all 3 (Ca, gambels, mtn) overlap here can be great for all 3 species but not as great as could be had in each respective prime range if that makes sense.
    Yes Robert,

You are correct , Its either boom for one species or the other most years. the perfect weather years are the only difference. You get rain down here all year long and there will be plenty of all species down here. I've only seen it once in 2006. But One can hope. LOL

I'm game
    There is a way that nature speaks, that land speaks. Most of the time we are simply not patient enough, quiet enough, to pay attention to the story. ~ Linda Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by OKIEGunner View Post
    I'm game
    LOL you are all way Welcome here Okie. You should know that.