Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A ? for pheasant pluckers

Default A ? for pheasant pluckers

I took the time today to pluck 2 birds and I must say they're the best I've ever done but when you're done plucking you end up with a nice birds with a lot of little "hairs" left if you know what I mean. I've cooked them in the past with these hairs left on but what is the best way to get rid of them? Hold the bird over hot coals to singe them off maybe?
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default phez

Get a large pan , 3/4 water, boil the water and put the bird in. You can do this with the whole bird it will help get all the feathers off easier.

A judicious use of a propane torch...or the equivalent in lesser oomph.

When we pluck birds, which we don't do often anymore, we use a torch to singe the leftover hair. Doesn't smell the greatest, but it works.

Default Wax

We used to dip plucked birds in a wax and after it dried peel it off. The propane torch is much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by abraun View Post
    Get a large pan , 3/4 water, boil the water and put the bird in. You can do this with the whole bird it will help get all the feathers off easier.
    It's best to let the water cool a bit after bringing it to a boil and before dunking the fully feathered bird, as 212 degrees (or even 200) is a bit too hot. It makes the skin too loose and can actually start to cook the meat a little.

I've done some experimenting with this and have found the best temperature range is from about 160 to 190. The skin stays fairly tight, but the feathers come off easily.

If you're doing a bunch of birds at one time, you'll likely need to dump your water and boil up a new pot. I can usually get through about three birds per pot before the water gets too cool.

I'm really not sure if the hairs are still there or not, since the skin is damp at that time.

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up using a camp stove to singe them after I dialed in a nice blue flame. I'm really pleased with my effort.

In the brine and roasting for dinner tomorrow.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Birds look great, how do you plan on cooking them? I have never done a whole bird but would like to try it sometime.

I plan on rasting them using the hi/ lo method here.

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/phe...oast-pheasant/

I've roasted a few before like this but these are the first I've brined. I also have a picked wild turkey in the freezer that I will cook the same way.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

QH, nice looking birds. Were these some tame one's you caught? They look very plump and it doesn't look like a pellet in either bird.

Much better than the one I shot yesterday. He wasn't that close but I must have centered the pattern on him. One side of the breast was peppered and both legs were broken.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5