Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Input on reliable, double trigger, auto safety

I've never seen a Dickinson with an auto safety, all three of mine are manual. I'm a big fan of the auto-safety but I know a lot of guys aren't.

AM
    Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
    - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by airmedic1 View Post
    I've never seen a Dickinson with an auto safety, all three of mine are manual. I'm a big fan of the auto-safety but I know a lot of guys aren't.

AM
    There is a new Dickinson 16ga SxS on guns international right now listed at 6lbs 6oz while most of these 16's are around the 6lb 10-14oz range. I sent an email to the seller about the gun in question. What do you think? To good to be true? I've looked at a lot of them and never seen one listed as this light.

The LOP on the Dickinsons is to long for me so if I bought one I'd also be looking for a good gunsmith to shorten the stock a bit fo me as well.
    Last edited by quail hound; 12-02-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

You really think you'll notice 4 less ounces?

I do actually and if I'm going to spend some cash on a new gun I'm going to hold out for one that is exactly what I want.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post
    There is a new Dickinson 16ga SxS on guns international right now listed at 6lbs 6oz while most of these 16's are around the 6lb 10-14oz range. I sent an email to the seller about the gun in question. What do you think? To good to be true? I've looked at a lot of them and never seen one listed as this light.

The LOP on the Dickinsons is to long for me so if I bought one I'd also be looking for a good gunsmith to shorten the stock a bit fo me as well.
    Does it have interchangeable choke tubes? If it doesn't it could weigh 6lbs. 6oz. I have heard the newer ones with the choke tubes weigh more.

Quote Originally Posted by 870-Lefty View Post
    Does it have interchangeable choke tubes? If it doesn't it could weigh 6lbs. 6oz. I have heard the newer ones with the choke tubes weigh more.
    It does have the tubes.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Dic...n_id=100394224

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is a 16 gauge enough gun for pheasant?
    Even with a 12 my dog has to save the day 30 to 50% of the time.
    (mostly with bird flushes beyond 30 yds. )

I do own an older German made 16 ga. (Bergmuller & Sohne) that I've considered opening up the
    first barrel choke constriction on. It has double triggers and an auto safety.

It's also a pretty light weight gun.

Any recommendations on where I can get that done and what it might cost?
    Last edited by huntsem; 12-03-2013 at 07:01 AM.

I have a 16b Dickinson with tubes that weighs in at 6lbs 15oz and my 12b without tubes weighs 6lbs 8oz. I like the 16 but at almost 7 lbs I don't like carrying it. I even weighed a 20b last weekend that was 6lbs 5oz so in my mind they are sort of on the portly side but that is just my opinion. Otherwise I think they are great guns, especially for the money.

AM
    Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
    - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The shooter, the choke, the load, the distance, the conditions and the decision to tap or not all determine whether a gauge is sufficient for pheasant....or insufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by thornton View Post
    The shooter, the choke, the load, the distance, the conditions and the decision to tap or not all determine whether a gauge is sufficient for pheasant....or insufficient.
    I agree but in the right hands any gauge (bigger than .410) should be enough gun for pheasants. I use only a 28 & 20ga on pheasants, I'll carry grandpas 12ga once or twice a year for nostalgia but I never feel under gunned with my sub gauges.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson