Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is easier to point, Quail or Pheasant?

Default Which is easier to point, Quail or Pheasant?

I was wondering which you all think is easier to point? Quail or pheasant. I always thought quail were easier, but my pup Ox has been locking down pheasant this year and busting coveys. It's only his second season so I am quite happy with his performance on pheasant. Perhaps it's simply a result of crossing paths with more pheasant than quail last season and so far this year.

Both are very simple to point. Now, getting to hold.........

I think it is that Ox has been on more pheasants.

IMO it is a little harder for a dog to point pheasants just because they tend to run off.
    Steve

Equal or either...all in the particulars.

My only quail experience to date is with the valley (California) variety, and they run just like little pheasants. For me, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other and everything depends on the specific situation.

Just my .02 cents but... Quail seem to be starter birds and tune up birds...

I never start a pup on pheasant until they have at least one season under them on quail. This is just my personal opinion but the spurs on a pheasant can be enough to scar a young pup that may not have the same drive as a dog with a season or two under it's belt.

Another thought, is that a covey of quail should give off more scent than a single pheasant. Making it easier to for a young pup to find.

As to the original question, easier to point? My thought would be quail. The bobwhite quail from my experience seem to sit rather than run. But it all depends on the situation and circumstances.
    https://www.facebook.com/voteoutidiots Let's tell the government how we want it ran.

quail. I have been seeing quail run this year a little more than normal though. Bobwhites could never get as bad as a rooster pheasant though. wild pheasants can cooperate and make a young dog look like a rock star OR run more miles than a marathon runner and make a veteran dog look likes its never had a day of training in its life. lol welcome to pheasant hunting

the term "quail" takes on another meaning when you talk about blues or gambles. I don't have any experience with either one though.

Neither compare to Huns or Chukars . . . the moving little bastriches!
    Dogs . . . I've loved them all . . . the good, the bad, the mediocre, the spectacular. God never made a more loyal & trusting creature than a dog. No small wonder that the same three letters spell two words very important to me . . .

Quote Originally Posted by koja48 View Post
    Neither compare to Huns or Chukars . . . the moving little bastriches!

I did not think that the Huns we hunted last fall in Montana were hard for the dogs to handle. My setters did great on them, and so did my hunting partners setter and pointer. It was the first time for all of us hunting Huns.

The desert quail are track stars from what I know of them. Have not hunted wild Chukar yet, but I am sure that they run some as well.
    Steve

quail for sure that's why there my favorite to hunt they hold and handle better when I have a young dog and get into a covey I will stay there all day back and forth and if you stay long enough after you have busted them you can locate them when they whistle trying group back up and bring the dog to them, but I don't in extreme temps like this week, you want them to get together to survive