Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by mustistuff View Post
    the bottom line I think is that we were not there so don't really know the scoop. if you can't handle an accident, stay home and even then pray. I tell all the people I hunt with and it's not many, the rule is we do not shoot birds on the ground and that my dogs can't fly. you don't have to kill the bird, be careful. that said, when bogey died he had a couple of pellets in the top backside of his head, I could feel them when ever I rubbed his head. in this case I could not see bogey cause of the deep cover, I was shooting a rising rooster at 40 yds, imp. cly. while the bird was about 10ft over the top of the weeds, he was still hit by a couple of flyers. didn't seem to bother him and I didn't know of the problem for several days later, but, it happened and there is a saying that covers that.

cheers

I sure hope I am misunderstanding what you are saying. You are basically saying that if a dog get hit it is chalked up to the $hit happens category? Would you feel the same if your kid came home with pellets in him?

There is NO reason a dog should get pelleted. If he did, then you were not taking a safe shot....period.
    Last I checked, dogs dont wear air jordans.
    VC Max vom Schutzenknapp, VJP 75, HZP 190, VGP 303 Prize I 4H Nose, HN, BTR, NA 112 Prize I, 204 Prize I, 2014 SMCNA Hall of Fame dog youngest inductee.

Baja vom Wamsbach, VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112 Prize I. A diamond in he rough!

Quote Originally Posted by mstand View Post
    I sure hope I am misunderstanding what you are saying. You are basically saying that if a dog get hit it is chalked up to the $hit happens category? Would you feel the same if your kid came home with pellets in him?

There is NO reason a dog should get pelleted. If he did, then you were not taking a safe shot....period.
    Last I checked, dogs dont wear air jordans.

no. I am saying that things happen and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, carelessness is sometimes in one's own mind and nobody is perfect. this is really a pretty small issue, want a serious one, take cars, take cel phones, texting and driving, etc. sounds like you are either short on experience or think you have found your own pedestal.

cheers

no. I am saying that things happen and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, carelessness is sometimes in one's own mind and nobody is perfect. this is really a pretty small issue, want a serious one, take cars, take cel phones, texting and driving, etc. sounds like you are either short on experience or think you have found your own pedestal.

cheers
    Gun safety is no small issue. The only thing I am short of is patients for small minded individuals who take the $hit happens approach to any kind of accident.

You should take a second and re read your post and see just how idiotic you sound.
    VC Max vom Schutzenknapp, VJP 75, HZP 190, VGP 303 Prize I 4H Nose, HN, BTR, NA 112 Prize I, 204 Prize I, 2014 SMCNA Hall of Fame dog youngest inductee.

all I can say is=+1

I really, really feel for the guy who lost his dog. I can't imagine what that was like to have to experience.

Two years ago one of my brothers brought a buddy along on our annual grouse weekend. We're going through the woods, my setter's on point and the guy sees the woodcock running on the ground and announces he sees it running and is going to shoot. I was screaming no at the top of my lungs and he didn't shoot. I yelled, not too pleasantly either, that we never, ever shoot at anything on the ground and need to be aware of where the dog is at all times. He was apologetic when we came out to the road and we talked about it. But I'm steering clear of him when we gather for that annual weekend now.

My dad shot one of my dogs years ago. He was hard of hearing, couldn't hear the dog. We were walking trails because he had sprained his ankle. Dog jumped out onto the trail 40 yards ahead just as a grouse flushed from next to us and flew right down the middle of the trail. Bird at 6-8' high right over the top of the dog. He shot despite my yelling not to shoot and caught the dog with two fliers. It's hard to imagine that much blood on a white dog with two, #8 shot hits. I never took Dad bird hunting with me again and I steered clear of him while deer hunting, too. Despite all the lectures to us about safety when we were growing up, he became unsafe in his later years.

As with some of you, I have friends who I no longer hunt with. One of them was my best man and current golf league partner. We do a lot of things together, but hunting isn't one of them because he's a greenhorn who will never get it. He didn't talk to me for a long time after I pulled him out of the woods and chewed his ass.

Life is too short to ruin friendships, but also too precious, whether dog or human, to risk it because of unsafe, stupid actions.

Please! Let's be safe out there!
    Born to hunt. Forced to work.

Well said!

And thats why I dont hunt in big groups and I am very picky on who I hunt with

Default david0311

cheers
    All I can say to that is Bull Sh**--shoot one of my dogs and find out how small of a issue it is--

Please tell me you just trying to keep stirred and not serious --

Quote Originally Posted by david0311 View Post
    all i can say to that is bull sh**--shoot one of my dogs and find out how small of a issue it is--

Please tell me you just trying to keep stirred and not serious --
    I 2nd that Dav

RR,
    Sounds like you made some tough decisions and for all the right reasons.
    Great post.
    Can't imagine my dog being shot. Hope I never have to go thru that.