Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reminder

Default Reminder

This weekend I got a call from a friend of mine who was just about in tears. They had received an email from a guy who had bought a puppy from them about 13 months ago.
    This guy had taken the pup on its first hunting road trip. When they got there they met up with a group of guys and went on their hunt. During the hunt a bird erupted from the cover and one of the guys took a shot far to low and killed the pup on the spot.
    I read the email that the guy sent and it brought tears to my eyes. The description was intense. He left the hunt and made the long drive home with the pups head laying in his lap. He was in shock and did not know how to explain the event to hi wife and kids.
    Folks, there are no birds in the world worth putting a human or canines life in danger. As a dog owner I dont know how i would have reacted, but the rage i feel right now towards the individual is pretty intense.
    Hunt smart. If your hunting with a dog, make sure you know where it is. Even a well trained dog can get caught up in the moment.

ugh... my condolences... I can't imagine being in that position.

My god horrible. Rule number one dont shoot the dog. A bird is not worth it.

I have seen it happen before, tho the owner shot his own dog when it leaped to garb a bird. Was at a pheasant shoot. Alledgedly he has not picked up a gun since. Very sad.

A dog owner's worst nightmare for sure'
    We remind each other constantly to be vigilant when a bird gets up with the dogs close
    DT

so sorry to hear this.

Besides sending him to the hospital, I would be sending him a large bill.

So very, very sad. All of us that have dogs can feel the emptiness and sadness

Some here may recall a post input out not long ago. About a guy ground swatting in front of my dog. I called her off bird and loudly announced my dog was done for the day and I put her in the truck

Accidents happen but many of thee situations we avoidable. Lesson number 1, if it is your dog others will hunt behind then YOU make the ground rules. Announce them before you go afield and remind your group, no matter how seasoned or experienced, that ground swats and low shots are not acceptable

My prayers to that guy and his family that lost their hunting buddy.

What a heart breaker. Best therapy is to get another dog and it give a good home and life.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage

Default Geez, are you kidding me

Number one rule when we hunt as a group. Blue behind the bird, or we don't shoot. We say it every morning before we start. Saves the dogs and the guys.