Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best all around choke constriction for pheasant

Default Best all around choke constriction for pheasant

What is everyone's opinion on the best all around choke constriction for a single barreled shotgun for pheasant hunting? I would think it would be L.M. or Mod., but what do the rest of you think?

Without knowing how any individual gun/load patterns, a LM or .015 constriction is probably as good a bet as any in a single barrel gun. Enough constriction to kill a pheasant out to 40 yards with the right ammo if need be. On close shots just let the bird get out a ways. self control.... self control.

It's all I ever use.

But if you only have a Modified, that will work fine as well.

I hate to over think this but, it would depend upon how you are hunting. If I were hunting over a pointing dog then I would use IC. If I were hunting over a flushing dog I would use a Mod. choke.

Opinions will vary on this one, but my two favs are an O/U with an Imp/IM...hit them close and still have some distance. Or, if shooting a single, it's hard to beat a modified choke. Newer ammo has tightened all choke tubes up a notch.
    JMc
    Fritch, TX

IC for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by 519vx View Post
    IC for me!!
    If I only had one barrel that would be my choice also.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last year I shot IM and my son shot IC, he always had first shot then I was clean up if needed. Also depends on the load, steel or lead? Carlsons black cloud mid range is my favorite to date this year with black cloud close range 4's, hevi- metal 4's. think it's .705

love a mod in my auto

Everybody is different.

I've had a Remington factory full lead/steel in since sept first after doves, and I've been shooting steel and other hard non-tox shot. With well over 2 dozen pheasants so far I've yet to even come close to blowing one up but I have killed as far as 70 or so yards. I did decapitate one. Killed one yesterday with 3.5 inch bb's even.

Most of my birds could have been killed with improved cylinder or light modified but when 50 yards is the only shot I get that day, or some high pass shooting at geese I'm prepared.

When I hunted over traditional Labs, I liked modified in my 1100. Since I have transitioned to GSPs, I have found that I really like skeet on the first shot and IC on the follow up if needed in the 686.