Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: skunk remediation

Tell him next time to cut the barrel in half length wise and then you don't have to tip it on it's end! Tha't like trying to push a porky into a pipe by hand. You won't do it twice!
    Trust the dog!

Troy Smith

Haha. Thanks for the tips. It looks like I am good to go with the chicken snatcher. Whichever one it was (possum or skunk), doesn't matter, both are gone and we haven't had any more trouble since...

We only have 8 chickens now, and they are like pets to us. They all have names and different personalities. My wife and kids love to give them bread and table scraps. The one that died was, unfortunately, their favorite, so using the "rest of it" as bait was not an option. I had to get it cleaned up and stashed before they saw it or they would have been very upset...

I sure wish skunks didn't exist....my younger wirehair loves to point them....then kill them....#2 of the year was yesterday....it's seems that the potency of the spray is a lot worse when its squeezed out the skunks body by my dogs jaws only 30 more days or so until the stench is clear of my vehicle, house and pretty much everything else I own.

Thank God for dog trailers. I remember the days with a Bronco, ugh! Was known to leave a dog in their airline crate in a plum thicket to run borrow a pickup to retrieve the stinking kit and caboodle! I did have a whitetail try to cross between my pickup and the trailer once. Didn't work out well for him!
    Trust the dog!

Troy Smith

Quote Originally Posted by rascal View Post
    I sure wish skunks didn't exist....my younger wirehair loves to point them....then kill them....#2 of the year was yesterday....it's seems that the potency of the spray is a lot worse when its squeezed out the skunks body by my dogs jaws only 30 more days or so until the stench is clear of my vehicle, house and pretty much everything else I own.
    Knock on wood, I have still been lucky in this regard. I keep a plastic kennel in the truck bed just in case, even though they only ride in the backseat of the crew cab...

yea...my whole life I've had pickup trucks and never had a problem with stink but couple years ago I had to give up my F150 for a Toyota Rav4 to get the 30mpg. I drive way too many miles to hunt every year...if I had to drive a pickup truck I wouldn't be able to afford to hunt near as much as I do. but now I'm stuck with the stink lol

My older shorthair doesn't care about the smell. He goes after them and then brings the smell back to me. He doesn't seem to mind.

My granddad and dad (when he was a kid) had a brittany sprayed by one on a quail hunting trip. The dog passed out and stayed in a stupor for quite awhile... Dad still remembers my grandma's reaction when they carried her to the back yard when they returned. "My God, you've shot that dog" The dog turned out to be alright after about a day, but it sure made it sick. Same dog that got the ham bone stuck over it's lower jaw. Bad luck. I guess 15 to 20 coveys a day made up for the occasional mishaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    And what do you do with him once he's in the trap?
    I seen a trapper attach a long cable to the trap. When he caught one under a house trailer, he just tied the cable to his hitch and drove right down main street headed for the country. I asked what he did with it when he stopped and he said train it on 12 gauge. Still have to get that damn thing out of the trap, but maybe there wasn't much left of the trap anyway!

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" YOGI