Thread: skunk remediation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default skunk remediation

I had a skunk get in the chicken coop last night and pick off a low-roosting hen. At least I am guessing that from the dead, half-eaten hen and the smell inside the coop...

I've deployed a couple box traps around the coop tonight, hopefully the skunk moves on or gets caught tonight.

For those of you who are trappers, what is good skunk bait I can put in the box traps? I usually use fish heads when we get a raccoon problem, but this is my first encounter with a skunk. Hopefully the last also...

And what do you do with him once he's in the trap?
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

7.5s from a safe distance back. Two shots as quick as the auto will cycle. That would be my plan, anyway. I've done it twice to raccoons that didn't look quite "right". I went ahead and shot 'em while they were still in the trap. Death was instant and the trap showed no damage.

I've had to trap a bunch of nuisance skunks around my place. Getcha some cheap canned tuna. They can't resist it. There's always the chance you'll get a grinner, but you don't want them in the coop either.

If you're targeting coons, and you DON'T want a skunk or possum, use marshmallows.

I'm hoping the problem is solved.

I thought I had caught the skunk yesterday morning, based on the smell, but it turned out to be a possum that had obviously been sprayed by a skunk. I couldn't get within 30 feet of the thing without gagging. I wonder if it wasn't the possum that got in there and stunk up the coop.

Then this morning a skunk got hit on the road within 200 yards of my house, so...

Either way, there's a fair chance that whatever got in there and ate the chicken may be dead. Thanks for the tip on the tuna. I'll employ that next time if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    7.5s from a safe distance back. Two shots as quick as the auto will cycle. That would be my plan, anyway. I've done it twice to raccoons that didn't look quite "right". I went ahead and shot 'em while they were still in the trap. Death was instant and the trap showed no damage.
    GOOD!

Use cat food for bait.

neighbors and friends now call me Skunkman. I have caught a few skunks in live traps by my koi pond. just walk up to trap slow with a blanket in front of you and lay it gently over trap. you can them pick up trap and put it in back of truck and drive out in country to shot it. have never had one spray yet this way. one time I was driving out of town with trap on tailgate and blanket blew off. great cure for tailgaters. guys at the power plant catch lots of skunks this way they have a rope tied to trap and throw it in the cooling pond no odor . friend of mine was trying to catch a groundhog at his office in town. one of his not so bright office ladies decided a piece of chicken would be good bait. yep he caught a skunk. so who you going to call Skunkman.!!!! ladies couldn't believe I walked right up to it covered it up and put it in my work truck. they asked what I was going to do with it. I told them I don't practice catch and release. skunk is going to DIE. OHHHH he is so cute you cant kill him. I stared at them and said damn your right he is a very cute skunk. where do you live.???.. why do you want to know that. if you think he is so cute and should be let free I will gladly do it in your yard half hour later skunk was sent to skunk heaven. seems they didn't think he was so cute anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    And what do you do with him once he's in the trap?
    I seen a trapper attach a long cable to the trap. When he caught one under a house trailer, he just tied the cable to his hitch and drove right down main street headed for the country. I asked what he did with it when he stopped and he said train it on 12 gauge. Still have to get that damn thing out of the trap, but maybe there wasn't much left of the trap anyway!

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" YOGI