Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a pheasant trip to Iowa worth the drive?

Thank you that is what I am in the process of doing. Most likely will end up in SD

Quote Originally Posted by thanasi View Post
    Thank you that is what I am in the process of doing. Most likely will end up in SD
    Better hurry..SD is about finished as well.

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    Better hurry..SD is about finished as well.
    Doomsday, what are you doing about the issue?

I have so many good memories of hunting Iowa thru the years. So sad that it has come to this. The problem is so huge (no habitat) that the fix is also going to have to be huge ($$$$ not to farm everything)

I know some Pa. boys that continue to travel out there and enjoy themselves. They manage to harvest a respectable amount of birds, granted nothing like the old days, but they go back every year. They hunt public land in the NW part of the state.

ahh , killed my first ringneck ever in poweshiek county , near malcom. Used to be an awesome area. I myself saw the habitat dwindle into one big bean field. Really nice people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by UGUIDE View Post
    Doomsday, what are you doing about the issue?
    Left SD and headed to SW ND after the 2007 season.

I seen a rooster in Sibley on Wednesday..

im 25 miles s.e. of des moines and around my area there is still very good habitat with lots of shelter belts so i have seen at leat 3 different broods earlier this summer, but i still like to travel to jefferson on opening day and eat breakfast at their little cafe with my 20 year old step daughter who loves chasing birds as much as i do, im not giving up, if the weather patterns would straiten out, we can bounce back to aroung six hundred thousand birds, but with all the lost habitat we will not see a million again. north west iowa should have some pockets of good bird numbers, ya just gotta be willing to go out and hunt.

This summer I rode my motorcycle to the Loess Hill and then went acroos Iowa over to the Miss River and rode the river rode.

Biggest mistake was crossing Iowa. I thought Western Ks was boring. Beans a mostly corn for as far as the eye could see. No habitat whatsoever. It's no wonder populations are dwindling. I know this is just a small part of the state I was in but I couldn't imagine it being too much different elsewhere.