Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sad!!!!

Quail Hound......

Please explain the "nightmare" of management that fields of grass presents.

You talk like it's more complicated than designing a mission to Mars.

Buy manage I'm not just talking about the fire, plow, axe, and cow aspect ( though I believe that is a big part of it) but also implementation, public access, public relations, ownership issues etc... A lot of states have a no net gain clause for public land and you know federal lands are under attack from the right. I might be with you on this plan RK (assuming Ca is allocated 1/2 million acres or so), I'm just trying to figure out how we get it done thats all.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by RK Special K View Post
    Quail Hound......

Please explain the "nightmare" of management that fields of grass presents.

You talk like it's more complicated than designing a mission to Mars.
    Grasslands need regular disturbance to stay healthy and productive, free of thatch and invasion of woody cover. These issues were once dealt with naturally by grazing animals and fire but now must be taken care of manually. Good brood cover, just as important as nesting cover, is even more dependent on regular disturbance.
    Last edited by quail hound; 09-21-2014 at 03:22 PM.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I believe we get WAY to wrapped up in modern "over manipulation, over management, special tweaking, etc., etc.

The first successful release of wild birds was in the Willamette Valley of Oregon in 1891. Birds EXPLODED in numbers. This area had some crops and lots of unkempt, ragged, wild weed/grass fields. Nothing "managed" there - somewhat similar in the soil bank days. Cropland was left to go back to ravages of nature. And we all know what happened to the bird numbers. Almost had to call in the military to help curb the numbers.

I would not consider CA a part "pheasantland" - don't think it has enough of the right foundation to build on. But I'm really not that familiar with CA as a potential bird mecca. Are there vast, low-populated areas that support grassland habitat?

Edited.
    Last edited by quail hound; 09-22-2014 at 08:21 PM.

What happened to the discussion of MUD Lake? way way off topic . PLEASE MOVE this!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by wesslpointer; 09-22-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wesslpointer View Post
    What happened to the discussion of MUD Lake? way off topic . PLEASE MOVE this!!!!!!!!!
    I think we've covered the mis management of Mud Lake by idgf, PF and the general disdain for biologists. What else would you like to discuss on the issue?

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No problem John. I thought those posts were discussing the pheasant problem as a whole and not really exclusive to one area but I understand.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by jsdriggs View Post
    Robert and RK, Wess is interested in his specific area and Idahos lack of interest in keeping pheasant hunting of good quality. Heck, I heard Idaho used to be one of the best.
    Let's keep this discussion on topic and respect for his passion for his home state.
    Thanks
    jsdriggs, THANKS! I thought I was clear. I was only talking about their management skills not Biologists per say . I think Biologists would agree they have little interest or proper training in the management end of their duties .

Quote Originally Posted by 1pheas4 View Post
    There's definitely something going on with wild pheasants in many areas of the country besides habitat loss and predation. I think we're getting close to a solution or solutions though.

A few months back I spoke with the good folks who are working on the Illinois wild pheasant study at Illinois State University Urbana-Champaign. They are now at the point of writing up a report on their findings/discoveries and recommendations for the ILDNR. Maybe, once a solution is (hopefully!) found, the findings will become nationwide??? We'll go from there I suppose.
    Are they any closer to a solution? The small great flying Pheasants of SW North Dakota should do well at mud lake. To bad there is not a group In Eastern Idaho willing/wanting a huntable population of wild pheasants.
    Last edited by wesslpointer; 12-19-2014 at 09:39 AM.