Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad!!!!

Default Sad!!!!

What a waste of time and money. PF know's what is needed to bring back the Pheasants in this area but lets state leed. PF spent its time and money to acquire more property then sits on its thumbs. SAD!!!! http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...group-try.html

Quote Originally Posted by wesslpointer View Post
    What a waste of time and money. PF know's what is needed to bring back the Pheasants in this area but lets state leed. PF spent its time and money to acquire more property then sits on its thumbs. SAD!!!! http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...group-try.html
    What's your problem with PF? You have to do somthing to figure out what is going on. Then you make corrections and go from there. If you don't know what the problem is, you can't fix it.

Well said jmac. At least now they know what is happening, just need to figure out what to do about it.

Yeah, I hate when an organization buys up land for conservation and public hunting reasons.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

This article makes the point that even where Idaho has sections of great habitat, the birds are not there in the the numbers they should be.

This seems to be the case even within areas where predators are kept "in-line" so to say.

It's becoming more apparent this population issue that a number of "pheasant states" are facing may have something to do with genetics. A good does of "new" wild blood from the right sub-species throughout a states wild pheasant range could do our birds a lot of good.

If not birds directly from China, than an exchange of wild pheasants from state to state may give them the jump they need.
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    What's your problem with PF? You have to do somthing to figure out what is going on. Then you make corrections and go from there. If you know what the problem is, you can't fix it.
    It doesn't take 3 years to figure out Pheasants have a hard time! By the way IDFG farms mud lake you would think they would know to let the hens finish nesting before baling. With 20,000 acres probably twice that if you add the BLM to the north the best IDFG and PF can do is a study that has been done a number of times in other states? Any Ideas why? http://www.pheasantsforever.org/page...eleaseId=16510
    Last edited by wesslpointer; 09-17-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Default 4

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    What's your problem with PF? You have to do somthing to figure out what is going on. Then you make corrections and go from there. If you don't know what the problem is, you can't fix it.
    Not a problem I'm 4 PF changing direction. There's no better place than mud lake. 1. History of wild Pheasants 2. large public area 3. large farms in sparsely populated area. 4. DEMAND! thousands of Pheasants hunters drive by this area on way to the Dakotas more than welling to "PAY TO PLAY". Come on PF get in there an show the farmers how to make money raising wild Pheasants, a Mine SD. If you wait for the state nothing well change. PF you need a WIN here is the place.

It looks like we know the answer! Half of the hens were mowed down in the first alfalfa cutting, this isn't news anywhere else. With new strains of alfalfa, maturing early on and repeatedly, it's a death zone for sitting hens. If you could get farmers to mow with a sickle bar mowers and a side delivery rake, instead of swathers, and disc mowers, or at set aside some nesting "trip" crop to allow some to succeed. We are fighting an uphill battle. On private ground, the state, or federal grounds I don't see why we can't manage the resource to allow successful nesting, at least there. It mightmake an impact to research alfalfa strains, and harvesting techniques which can be implemented elsewhere. Now that would be worth supporting! Taking wild hens which were successful nesters and aclimated to the area, 45 miles to document the technicolor death seems at least counter productive. So imagine the loss in Idaho, and contrast that to North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa. Loss of nesting habitat is alot more crucial than anything else in my opinion. The birds find a swamp, a feedlot, and few farmstead hedgerows, to survive, forage in fields for waste grain and grasshoppers. I thought the idea was habitat, sound like Mud Lake has it, but it's completely mismanaged for pheasants, I would suspect that, they stock 16,000 birds, also a dead bag loser.

Swathing at 40 MPH does not help, that's for sure! Watch it every tear here in the flatlands of OK.
    There is a way that nature speaks, that land speaks. Most of the time we are simply not patient enough, quiet enough, to pay attention to the story. ~ Linda Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by oldandnew View Post
    It looks like we know the answer! Half of the hens were mowed down in the first alfalfa cutting, this isn't news anywhere else. With new strains of alfalfa, maturing early on and repeatedly, it's a death zone for sitting hens. If you could get farmers to mow with a sickle bar mowers and a side delivery rake, instead of swathers, and disc mowers, or at set aside some nesting "trip" crop to allow some to succeed. We are fighting an uphill battle. On private ground, the state, or federal grounds I don't see why we can't manage the resource to allow successful nesting, at least there. It mightmake an impact to research alfalfa strains, and harvesting techniques which can be implemented elsewhere. Now that would be worth supporting! Taking wild hens which were successful nesters and aclimated to the area, 45 miles to document the technicolor death seems at least counter productive. So imagine the loss in Idaho, and contrast that to North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa. Loss of nesting habitat is alot more crucial than anything else in my opinion. The birds find a swamp, a feedlot, and few farmstead hedgerows, to survive, forage in fields for waste grain and grasshoppers. I thought the idea was habitat, sound like Mud Lake has it, but it's completely mismanaged for pheasants, I would suspect that, they stock 16,000 birds, also a dead bag loser.
    Old and new , Sadly its not mismanaged it managed just like the people in charged or trained to do. Non native Pheasants or just like noxious weed and hunters should be happy with stocked birds. In Idaho I feel the biggest mistake we made in the last 30 years is the training of the people we put in charge of the upland bird programs of both IDFG and PF. What type of training does a CEO of a computer chip company or frinch fry company have and need? Pheasants are a crop and pheasant hunting is a business really a "industry" from guns, shells trucks, dogs , dog boxes,cloths est, est. It depends on the production of wild Pheasants to survive! Basic supply and demand. more pheasants = more hunters money = more conservation of all wild life. Putting conservation first has been the death blow! You need people in charge that think and get paid for PRODUCTION! Not ones that move up by doing studies and writing papers and the publication of there studies . When a person donates to PF they think "more " Pheasants" but the people we have in charge think more conservation of NATIVE things as they been trained to think. Read the PF release and see if it say's a thing about PRODUCTION of Pheasants. Is this what the PF supporters want? or do they want PRODUCTION? http://www.pheasantsforever.org/page...eleaseId=16510
    Last edited by wesslpointer; 10-09-2013 at 12:20 PM.