Thread: Sharptails and Ptarmigan?

Default Sharptails and Ptarmigan?

When I think of Canada I think of sharptail grouse and Ptarmigan. Is there any place better for Sharpies than Saskatuwan? What is best province for Ptarmigan? How do you hunt the buggers?

lOTS OF SHARPIES IN SASKCHEWAN. BOTTOM SOUTH BY THE USA BORDER. LIMIT IS 3 A DAY AND IF YOU CAN'T SHOOT 3 BY 9AM THEN YOUR A BAD SHOT.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
    lOTS OF SHARPIES IN SASKCHEWAN. BOTTOM SOUTH BY THE USA BORDER. LIMIT IS 3 A DAY AND IF YOU CAN'T SHOOT 3 BY 9AM THEN YOUR A BAD SHOT.
    Hey Tellowdog, thanks for getting the Canada Thread going. My Brother-in-law goes there for geese and sharpies and man they must have a bunch.

No sharptails or ptarmigan here on the East Coast. Spruce and Ruffed grouse are the birds we chase. Wild Turkey is starting to make a comeback, but no season yet. There are a few pheasant preserves in the province, which provide the only opportunity for good wingshooting - some have some Chukar too.

Best place to get Ptarmigan would be in Labrador and the Northern peninsula of Newfoundland, Northern Quebec, or in the territories (Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut).
    My Arsenal
    Winchester Model 100 .308 Semi-Automatic Rifle
    Savage Model 64 .22 Semi-Automatic Rifle
    Winchester Model 94 .30-.30 Lever Action Rifle
    Lakefield-Mossberg Model 500E 410ga Pump Action Shotgun
    Winchester Model 1300 20ga Speed Pump Shotgun
    Mossberg Silver Reserve 12ga Over/Under |Delta Waterfowl Gun of the Year '09|Shotgun

I have been looking into going to Saskatchewan to hunt Sharpies and Huns in September. Has anyone done that up there?
    JeffStally