Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming trip advice?

Boots are a good Idea, But the green mountain area is not a boot area. Sand burrs and prickle pair is the least of your problems at this altitude. Jeffery city and north maybe. Cacti in the location doesn't do well. It's part of the red desert but to high for it to do well. Dogs should have no problem avoiding what little there is of it. Ticks are another matter.

Ive never had boots on my dog , suppose i need to get him training in a set pretty soon. I saw plenty of sand burrs in oklahoma on a quail hunt there.They look pretty darn nasty for sure! I also found several dog boots there , they must come off the dog easily? You all recomend a good set / brand? This green mountain area you speak of , is it a wma or blm or what? Tanks once again for the advice!

Green Mountain area is about 50 miles East to West with several peaks going up to about 9 thousand feet. Averaging about 10-12 miles wide. Just about all BLM with some State land mixed in. Some private in the foothills and drainages. Several campgrounds run by the BLM, however you can pull in and camp most anywhere You like.
    I've hunted Mule Deer on the mountain for about 40 years doing some grouse hunting usually after filling the deer tag. Yeah, no cacti above about 6000 ft.

Access on the mountain is good, to good! oil and gas has roads and trails everywhere.
    Green Mountain itself is an oasis in the Desert.
    Hundreds of horses (WAY TO MANY) call em wild if you like. They are just unwanted horses let go on the BLM.
    Horse lovers from all over come to take pics of the "wild horses"

Sounds like a good area to start. We hunt a lot of USFS land here for ruffed grouse. The road systems here where we hunt are pretty well maintained and are everywhere.Camping was another question I had which you have addressed and I appreciate. Will there be mule deer and elk hunters using that area when we are there? (last full week in september)?

Quote Originally Posted by esetter View Post
    Sounds like a good area to start. We hunt a lot of USFS land here for ruffed grouse. The road systems here where we hunt are pretty well maintained and are everywhere.Camping was another question I had which you have addressed and I appreciate. Will there be mule deer and elk hunters using that area when we are there? (last full week in september)?
    Yes, Scouting for elk, I maybe up,on Green mountain doing this very thing, on the last week of Sept. Not sure about deer hunters, but elk season is early Oct.
    Pronghorn hunters for sure will be in the area.

I don't have an Elk tag but friend of mine, in Casper drew a bull tag for the early elk season. I just going to help, and for part, of the back strap.

Deer season opens the 15th of Oct. About the 13th the deer hunters will be pulling in. Lots of deer hunters on the mountain the first few days of the 8 day season.
    The last week of Sept I think, will be a good time.

Gonna try to do some dove hunting here in early september. I love a good early goose hunt too. Farmers here cutting corn for siliage then and they hate geese. Usually get my dog out hunting for the first time in october in Nordak. We were planning on consulting big game hunters while we were there as we do for deer hunters in kansas who stop to ask us if we are seeing deer. Jmac , give me a yell and if we are there at the same time I will give you a cold beer for a point in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by esetter View Post
    Gonna try to do some dove hunting here in early september. I love a good early goose hunt too. Farmers here cutting corn for siliage then and they hate geese. Usually get my dog out hunting for the first time in october in Nordak. We were planning on consulting big game hunters while we were there as we do for deer hunters in kansas who stop to ask us if we are seeing deer. Jmac , give me a yell and if we are there at the same time I will give you a cold beer for a point in the right direction.
    Will do, I'll be in Casper mid Sept. if all goes well.

Took a little trip south of Rawlings over the weekend and the sage grouse were looking good!
    The broods were all between 5 to 9 chicks.
    Even saw a group of 5 big males (boomers).

Cool , I was wondering what you all were referring to as boomers. I d like to shoot 1 good boomer for the picture opportunity. Much larger than the ruffs we shoot here but doubtfully as tasty! Is there a lot of BLM land in that area? Im pretty sure we are gonna be there the last week of the season and am worried that they will be super jumpy.What do you think?