Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to go?

I have had some excellent Sharptail hunting in Nov.
    If You can get off the road a ways where the birds haven't been heavily hunted and out of the way places anytime during season is a good time.
    Those Block Management areas and other popular areas are hit early and hard.
    So go early.
    Depends on Your plans. 15'th of Sept is a good time.

Don't think you have to hunt Sharptail or Huns near farming. The best bird hunting I know of is some big native shortgrass with brushy coulees where birds have never tasted grain.

Just changed my departure date to Oct 5 and plan on staying to the 12th. Plan on chasing some pheasants on that day also. Can't believe I am changing my dates because of work.....

Hope the hunting is still good during that time!

I'm headed out that way for the first time the third week of September. I like reading the tips on where to look for birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Kennel View Post
    I'm headed out that way for the first time the third week of September. I like reading the tips on where to look for birds.
    Not sure if you knew or not but pheasant doesn't open until Oct. 12. If you're just after grouse and huns, it may have cooled off enough by then to have an enjoyable hunt.
    A bad day of hunting always beats a good day at work.

Thanks for the heads up but pheasants are not our first choice. Plan on hitting them on Saturday Oct 12 and perhaps extend our stay by a few days...

Really going for sharp tails, Huns and sage grouse

See you there!