Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixed bag game birds

Default Mixed bag game birds

Some friends and I have an itch to try new ground for a change. Not asking for secrets here, but if you were to point a guy in a direction in mt for Huns grouse and phez- where would be your suggestion to start?

You don't want anybody to give you their secrets, but then you ask for a place to start. My place for you to start is to do your own reseach.

My suggestion would be central to eastern MT. The next step would be to go to the FWP website and start looking at the Block Management maps. You don't want to go too far west as the opportunities start to dwindle.
    A bad day of hunting always beats a good day at work.

Thanks mttailchaser, that was my interpretation with the site also. Would miles city be a decent home base? I'm playing phone tag with a biologist right now.

Brit- good constructive first post.

Miles City could work, although there are a lot of BMA's west towards Hysham. Most of them are Type II, which means you have to get landowners permission and possibly make a reservation. Central MT around Lewistown isn't bad either. The best in the state is northeast around Plentywood, but it can get hunted pretty hard. It's tougher when you don't know people to get on to private property, all you can do is ask.
    A bad day of hunting always beats a good day at work.

Barettadouble. Your question is right in line.

For sure the thing to do is get the Block Management information available from the MT,F,W and Parks website. Available about mid August. And get the BLM maps for the regions Your interested in. Order from BLM office out of Billings or on the BLM, ND. MT. web site. These maps show all public lands.

Miles City would be a good home base. There is public land and some good BMA's. That area has had a mild Winter, with some good weather during nesting birds should be plentiful. Plentywood area on the other hand has had a ton of snow and cold this Winter, wildlife probably suffered.

Quote Originally Posted by BritLabRunner View Post
    You don't want anybody to give you their secrets, but then you ask for a place to start. My place for you to start is to do your own reseach.
    thanks for your 1 great comment britlabrunner what a dick typical lakeville douche you have not been on the site long enough to just act like you control this thread man??? the man was just asking for general info if you wanted to starve the guy of info just dont respond for you being so rude many more people will feel free to help berettadouble out...

MNMThunting is the man to listen to hes out there every yr...

berettadouble and anyone else, I apologies if I came off alittle strong in my earlier post. If you go to the Main forum page I just posted my opinions on the subject at hand.

small munsterlander owner those are some pretty strong words about a man you never met.

BLR, Hang around. Give some worthwhile comments and gain some. Trust me UPH and the folks here are NO threat to the future of Your pheasant hunting.

mnmthunting I've been hanging around for years and don't plan on going anywhere. I don't understand where you think I think this forum or the people here are threat to my hunting.
    Last edited by BritLabRunner; 03-25-2013 at 09:09 PM.