Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expiring CRP by County in MT

Default Expiring CRP by County in MT

crp.jpg

This is just the list of what is expiring, hopefully much of this will be "re-upped" or new acres enrolled (I can dream can't I )
    "It takes birds to make a bird dog"

Default CRP or CPR

With Congress and the current Presidentail Administration in such a gridlock, I question if we will see too much support for a continued agressive CRP program. On the flip side of that (considering current historic high grain prices) is it warranted? OH Boy!!!! I hear the rumblings already.
    Bucketmouth

Looking at it county by county the biggest loss of CRP is in the counties with the highest pheasant production.

With the cost of production these days and the bushel per acre break even I can't see taking a chance on all the marginal, erosion prone land. A drought and wind, You won't see the sun.

I seen thousands of acres of grass in Richland, Roosevelt and Sheridan Counties worked up last Fall and ready for Wheat this Spring. Dang!

Do they plant any winter wheat in that area or all spring wheat?

Really --- with todays no till drill technology you speak of uncontrollable erosion!! Educate yourself and be sympathetic to farmers that have struggled with poverty based prices for crops for years.
    Bucketmouth

Tilling erosion prone land is asking for more of the poverty you speak of.
    Yeah, there's crop insurance.

There is some Winter wheat.

Default poverty?

I am a farmer Bucketmouth, I think you might be confussed on both issues.

I have been directly involved in Cattle Ranching and crop production for ummmm 40 something years.
    Greed is a temporary fix. Good managers whether farmers or in any business have had little trouble battling poverty.
    Good farm managers would know that tilling up the highly erodible land is NOT going to work. The top soil was blown away a long time ago. Whats left is grit, coarse soils that have little moisture holding value.
    Maybe luckout with a moist year, most likely it will be dry.
    Eastern MT has 10-12 inches of annual precipitation.
    Trouble is it doesn't often come at opportune times. And some years will get 30 and some years will get 2.

Besides that, I have NEVER seen no till on CRP, Grasslands, Pasturelands or hay lands. They till the crap out of it.

Last year during the high winds of the season's second week there was so much blowing soil from tilled farms and areas burned by grass fires East of Medicine Lake it looked like one of the big forest fires we get out here.