Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Predators

Default Predators

Hello All,

I am up to seven on coyotes since we experienced the blizzard. I encourage all of you to get out there and put the hurt on predators for the next month or so. Our pheasant pops. really do benefit from our assistance in eliminating these predators that harass them during snow cover.

Predation increases 10% or more for the hens when we experience 10 or more consistent days of snow cover.

I have located and gained permission for the following hunting season pockets of higher density pheasants by predator hunting in these areas the winter prior!

You too can do your part to increase our bird pops!

Quote Originally Posted by KBell View Post
    Hello All,

I am up to seven on coyotes since we experienced the blizzard. I encourage all of you to get out there and put the hurt on predators for the next month or so. Our pheasant pops. really do benefit from our assistance in eliminating these predators that harass them during snow cover.

Predation increases 10% or more for the hens when we experience 10 or more consistent days of snow cover.

I have located and gained permission for the following hunting season pockets of higher density pheasants by predator hunting in these areas the winter prior!

Hoping to have my new AR varmint build done in a couple weeks so I can go. The old man is out every day. They have 8 or so now too I believe.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

called in a yote today came in like it was on a string. took less than 2 minutes. he wont be chasing any more roosters

My nephew called in a nice one the other day too. Shot his first one. 243. We dont have too many right by home, but right down the road there is places full of them. I just dont have any thing to shoot yet. Got some parts just waiting on the rest. BC did you use an electric call?
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

used foxpro on this one. tried calling river by home. yotes too well feed to respond to call. feeding on dead deer. cant believe how fast they can eat one. tracks every where we go. saw lots of deer today. trying to fill muzzle loader tag. have passed up lots of deer. waiting for a big buck.

Me and my neighbors have a good trapper working this Winter. He's covering a lot of acres. Last I've heard He's got 13 Yotes and about 20 fox.
    We have to chuckle at the theory that yotes kill off foxes.
    I've seen several pheasants along the dirt road lately, they have lots of good habitat in the area, predation has been the limiting factor.

Coyotes can and will run off fox. It happened right around where I live here in Indiana. Coyote population is at least double of the fox. I used see fox on a daily basis but since the coyotes moved in I haven't seen any in at least 5 years. The fur buyer getsup to 25 yotes a week and about 5 fox a week.

DU has some studies that show coyotes actually help duck numbers by reducing the populations of nest raiding predators such as skunks, opossums, raccoons and fox, thereby allowing better nesting success.

I would think the same rationale applies to upland game. Shooting Coyotes may not help pheasant populations and in fact may reduce them, by allowing nest raiding predators to increase.

Just a thought, If you want to help pheasant populations through predator reduction, trapping nest raiders would be a better way to accomplish your goal.

The biggest factors reducing pheasant populations are habitat and the weather. We can't control the weather but better habitat will help off set the dangers mother nature throws at pheasants. my .02

Quote Originally Posted by KBell View Post
    Hello All,

Yeah, that's all well said. There's way too many coyotes out there. It's go time!
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    DU has some studies that show coyotes actually help duck numbers by reducing the populations of nest raiding predators such as skunks, opossums, raccoons and fox, thereby allowing better nesting success.

I would think the same rationale applies to upland game. Shooting Coyotes may not help pheasant populations and in fact may reduce them, by allowing nest raiding predators to increase.

Just a thought, If you want to help pheasant populations through predator reduction, trapping nest raiders would be a better way to accomplish your goal.

The biggest factors reducing pheasant populations are habitat and the weather. We can't control the weather but better habitat will help off set the dangers mother nature throws at pheasants. my .02
    Good points made here too. The problem with coyotes is that we have way too many out there in way too many areas. In some areas I hunt, the coyotes have formed large packs. This is no good. One coyote alone can take out an entire clutch of chicks with ease.

Their numbers need to be brought down.
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com