Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Warning

Good advice! We hunt a lot of waterfowl on half frozen ponds in Colorado and it's dangerous. We've never lost a dog because we have a small John boat hidden by the blind but have had them fall through the ice and it is scary!
    -happy hunting!

this wknd I was out hunting and a rooster got up and my friend took a shot and dropped it right on a pond and my 7 month old took off at it running down a hill right to the pond. I called her back and she hit the breaks right as she hit the edge of the pond and skidded out about 20 yards on her rear and fell thru. luckily it is a shallow pond only waste high so I immediately thru off my gear and broke thru to go get her. Def a scary situation..I was fortunate that it was about 50 degrees on Friday or it could of been real scary for both of us. I thought we were far enough away from the pond to avoid this and the shot he took was a fine one..it was a strange unique situation being highh on a hill so the bird carried down pretty far..stay safe everyone!
    The Lone Rooster

"Whistlin' Dixie Comin' Through The Trees"

Default Thanks for the heads up

Yep, in the heat of the moment its easy to forget sometimes. The tragedy out in northern California with the family and dog is a stark reminder how things can get out of control. My game pouch is usually empty because I miss, so I definitely will carry 25 feet of quarter inch poly rope with me when I hunt late season in SD. Have to treat it like early season ice fishing I guess.

My little brit fell thru on thin ice in NC Ks after thanksgiving . I was glad I had read this thread before my hunt which allowed me to think about what to do in case this ever happened and not panic. The ice was so thin it kept breaking allowing him go get to shore without my help. But my plan if needed came from an old timer that crossed our local frozen lake one winter which he carried a long pole in case he broke thru this was in the back of my mind as I watched him make it to shore. Again thanks for the reminder !!

I like the rope Idea!! Thanks
    Last edited by h2obil; 12-09-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Had it happen to me on December 23rd. I had no idea the duck was there and i couldnt shoot it or i would have shot the dogs. Posted this on a waterfowl forum:

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:24 AM Post subject: Bad day today - lost my dog

I had something aweful happen today. I was out at Pueblo Reservoir with my 1-1/2 year old lab Bailey and my 5 year old Abbey. I parked off of the north side on the west end up the river off Swallows Road. I walked up the river along the bank and saw it was all frozen. Walked up about 1/2 mile then decided that was a bust and was heading back to the parking lot to try somewhere else. Decided to walk away from the river because of the ice.

Dogs were just running around exploring when all of a sudden they got birdy and took off after a wounded drake mallard in the weeds. The duck went for the river and to a piece of open water in the river about 30 feet long by 4 or five feet wide. In went the dogs, and Abbey went for the duck. The duck dove and so did Abbey. Bailey came out and Abbey never did. There was frozen water for as far as i could see. I tried to get to her but broke through myself and realized I could end up the same way. I tried but I just couldn't save her.

I just had to tell someone other than my family. If anyone is out there and finds her (she had to have drown - I ran up and down the river trying to find her for an hour or more), I would like to know about it please.

Thank you and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

I saw that on the Fuge.. God bless you man. I cannot imagine. hang in there and Im glad youre strong enough to share in the hope it doesnt happen to others. Im not sure I would be
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
    Had it happen to me on December 23rd. I had no idea the duck was there and i couldnt shoot it or i would have shot the dogs. Posted this on a waterfowl forum:

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:24 AM Post subject: Bad day today - lost my dog

I had something aweful happen today. I was out at Pueblo Reservoir with my 1-1/2 year old lab Bailey and my 5 year old Abbey. I parked off of the north side on the west end up the river off Swallows Road. I walked up the river along the bank and saw it was all frozen. Walked up about 1/2 mile then decided that was a bust and was heading back to the parking lot to try somewhere else. Decided to walk away from the river because of the ice.

Dogs were just running around exploring when all of a sudden they got birdy and took off after a wounded drake mallard in the weeds. The duck went for the river and to a piece of open water in the river about 30 feet long by 4 or five feet wide. In went the dogs, and Abbey went for the duck. The duck dove and so did Abbey. Bailey came out and Abbey never did. There was frozen water for as far as i could see. I tried to get to her but broke through myself and realized I could end up the same way. I tried but I just couldn't save her.

I just had to tell someone other than my family. If anyone is out there and finds her (she had to have drown - I ran up and down the river trying to find her for an hour or more), I would like to know about it please.

Thank you and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.
    Reading this made me sick to my stomach. I am sorry for your loss.

Just horrible! Makes me sick to think about. I've heard it happening before on rivers tho. Dog breaks to retrieve a duck, break through ice and is swept under by current.

Sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine.

Condolences, Marsh. That's a tough one.

Losing your companion truly is a bad day. Lost 2 of my own to the car, never easy. Makes you hold the one you have even closer. When the time is right, both for you and your dog's sake, it may help the healing process to acquire a new companion.
    Upland hunting is for the birds...and those of us who love our dogs!