Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opening day???

went to ceasers creek thanksgiving morning and jumped several and shot quite a few got my 2 limit by 9am and several in our group as well and everyone out were good fellas it seemed one guy loaned me his dog to help find one of my birds that was lost for a minute that dog was a god send as my labs are now retired i just wish ohio had more wild birds but to have that i would assume we would also need more coyote hunters
    if its brown its down, if it flys it dies

The coyotes aren't the problem. Loss of habitat and lack of initiative are.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsem View Post
    The coyotes aren't the problem. Loss of habitat and lack of initiative are.
    i agree and disagree as well a good ground start would be to get coyote #`s down because any birds released at this point just becomes a buffet for the foxes and the coyotes but on a bigger level yes you are correct.
    if its brown its down, if it flys it dies

[QUOTE=lovemylabs;129321]i agree and disagree as well a good ground start would be to get coyote #`s down because any birds released at this point just becomes a buffet for the foxes and the coyotes but on a bigger level yes you are correct.

I agree with you to the were supposed to turn almos 800 birds out at dillion state park our group of guys killed proably around 40 birds in the first week. since that i have made 5 trips there to come home without even a point.
    Better a day outside with bad weather. Than a day inside.

Trying to organize my first hunt in the Middletown/Gratis area. I'll be in town around Christmas. Anyone know of a place I might be able to bag a few birds? I know there are a few local spots there just not sure if any are worth checking out. I must say stomping around in the woods all morning is fun no matter what but I want the best chances. THanks in advance guys.
    Beretta Silver Snipe 12g O/U

Not a fan of them relasing birds. Wonder how much money they spend each year on 15,000 pen raised pheasants. Would much rather see the DOW apply that money to buying more WPA's.

Using Pa. as an example you'll find that supplying an adequate number of put and take birds is a good investment in maintaining interest in upland sport hunting and in gathering support for future funding of related wildlife habitat projects. When the released birds are raised and released in the proper environments it's all the better because they have much better survivability so you get more "bang for the buck". There is sound reasoning behind the practice of State Game operations releasing birds and many midwestern states do it for good reason.

You can find very up to date and accurate information about why Pa. has a goal of releasing 250,000 plus put and take pheasants annually through upgraded facilities and rearing methods on Pa.'s Game Commision's web site HERE. In the past couple of years I've noticed that when the Pa. Game Commission releases birds in Pa. and the birds have good food and cover available they often survive well into Feb. even when there's allot of snow... (and Pa. undoubtedly has coyotes too)

Ohio releases are over crowded ill only go for the youth hunt because i trust the kids over adults. Youth season jumped 7 and got 4