Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening day???

Default Opening day???

How did everyone do on opening day? how are the bird numbers you are seeing? we had 16 points on opening day with 18 birds up at dillion state park we are all pretty bad shots though we only killed 10!
    Better a day outside with bad weather. Than a day inside.

I went to PA.

A better overall experience!

any luck there?

Yes, more birds and less hunters.

The parking lots at the pheasant release fields in Ohio are much, much nicer than those in Pennsylvania.

My dog and I got our two Ohio birds on each of two outings in N.E. Ohio but that's all we put up.
    ODNR sucks in regards to serving birds hunters. I second Reilly's note on hunting Pa.... and so does my dog.
    I may not even waste any more of my dog's precious time bird hunting in Ohio.
    I feel sorry for all the folks and their hunting dogs with all those empty game bags that I see when I'm hunting in Ohio.
    I wonder if the State isn't trying to make bird hunters get discouraged as the interest in birds numbers conflicts with big ag. and land developers. The State actually stocked twice as many birds in the 1930's as they do today and how many less people populated the State back then? The stocking years ago was addition to an established wild bird population.
    Shameful...
    Last edited by huntsem; 11-10-2012 at 11:04 PM.

i have not yet hunted in Pennsylvania, but from what you guys tell me i should be getting up there. Do the have many wild birds?

Walked for 4.5 hours at Delaware in the rain today to give my 6 month pup some exposure. Saw 1 bird from afar.

The birds you get to hunt in PA are not wild. The PGC is releasing 200,00 pheasants state wide this year. They stocked at the start of October for the youth hunt, one preseason stocking and then one stocking per week with this week being the last stocking. Some parts of the state do get some birds in late December. The birds are released on state game lands, state parks and some private land that is enrolled in a cooperative program with the PGC. I have been out as much as possible this year and I was able to get into birds each time. I didn't always get a bird but me and the dogs are having a blast.

If it doesnt gobble or grunt the ODNR doesnt care about it. Ive been out a few times and kicked up a two roosters on public ground. Waiting for deer season to be over this week to be able to hunt some private CRP i have permission to hit.