Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pheasant numbers?

Default Pheasant numbers?

I see that there is no post for this state. I was just wondering why.If the harvest numbers are true for Ohio we are one of the better states to hunt in.I for one do not belive the numers are that high. What is you opion?

those numbers you read were the state public releases that the conduct. Trust me as a resident of ohio there are few pockets of wild birds to hunt.

if you want birds--go west young man!

birdhunt I do and have done so since 1987 and have missed only two seasons in that time. Yes I know we have some birds but so few around where I live you hate to kill to many for fear of being none next year. You have to hunt wisely so you can get a whole season of dog work out of a area.

The published numbers for the pheasant harvest in Ohio are misleading and deceptive. The Ohio DOW and DNR does little to promote land or agricultural management practices that would support wild pheasant populations. They do next to nothing to encourage wild pheasant stocks. The limited put and take pheasant numbers and the upland land management on most wildlife areas in Ohio are sort of a joke considering the comparative size of the State and the number of hunters interested in bird hunting. If it wasn't for federal CRP programs it's likely that Ohio wouldn't have a single wild pheasant. Ohio's DNR is more focused on managing Ohio's natural resources as an industrial system that caters to large scale agribusiness, resource extraction, real estate development, and tourism. If you're a bird hunter in Ohio and you don't have access to a privately stocked honey hole you're out of luck, unless you want to bag one or two $20 turkeys a year. Then Bang once and...your done for the season.

And some wonder why the future of hunting is in jeopardy...
    My poor bird dog...

I'm glad I live close to Pennsylvania. Last year Pa. stocked over 100,000 put and take Pheasants statewide. That's SEVEN TIMES the number of put and take birds that Ohio stocked last year. Pennsylvania also has allot more co-operative private landowner / hunter permission agreement land to hunt on. Pennsylvania does a MUCH better job of serving the interests of hunters than Ohio does.
    Last edited by huntsem; 03-05-2012 at 08:16 PM.

On a good hatch year you can do good on the WPA's if you have good dogs. I'm very lucky to have a buddy that has CRP and my folks just enrolled 35 acre's this past year. I'm trying to talk my neighbor to enroll CRP since he's getting ready to retire from farming and has no kids that will take over his farming.

gobucks,

Do you have a hunt-able population of WILD pheasants in your area? How about quail?

There's a good poopulation of pheasant on the private CRP, only seen a few quail and there's no season on quail where i live. This year was a horrible hatch, combine that with the bad winter we had and the one honey hole we have at a friends parents where we normaly jump two dozen to at times 50 birds on 25 acres we jumped maybe 15 this year. And we had a dog for the first time. It didn't help that there was a 100 acre bean field on until the last week of season.

If interested i'm part of a Quail Forever chapter we just started up this fall in southern ohio. We have a banquet on march 31 and its $70 a couple or $50 a single. That included meal, open bar til chow time and one membership to QF. Its in Mcarthur,Oh (near Athens). Leave me a message with your info if anyone wants a ticket.

gobucks, I'm surprised to read your reports of flushing up to 50 wild pheasant on a days hunt in Ohio. I've spent some time traveling around to work on projects in various parts of Ohio, always looking for signs of pheasants and asking folks I meet about pheasants when I do. My observations and the responses I receive are that pheasant populations in much of Ohio are few to none. I NEVER see any along the roads, dead or alive, and believe me I do look. Are you sure that most of these birds you are seeing aren't being stocked by a few local landowners or hunting clubs? What county are you hunting in?

What's a WPA?
    Last edited by huntsem; 03-05-2012 at 08:56 PM.

This year we were screwed due to the bean field being on for the entire season. It was last month I drove by an hour before dark and there were in that 12 to 15 bird range in the weat field next to CRP. And a couple more next to the guys barn. What really helped my buddies property is he had neighbors that had around 100 acres of grown up fields that were never farmed and in the second year of my friends CRP program someone started farming the larger portion of it. Those birds just moved down the road. These are all wild birds, i'd say there's a good 200 acres of grass within a mile. I've talked to a couple guys that work for PF and I'm one of a handful of people that has told them of the sucsess of the CRP and bird numbers, and one of the others wasn't to far from me. Circleville area.