PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather Gun Oil

FCSpringer
12-11-2010, 11:25 PM
I guess it would be a good thread to see what we all have good luck with for cleaning products and oils for extreme cold. I my self have used quite a few and settled on Outers products with the Gun Scrubber brand cleaner. Shooting Rem autos, Mossberg, Browning gold and Benelli autos, I hunted many days in 30 below and colder weather. It does not fail me in cold weather.

What other stuff have you tested to the extreme?
And what has been a flop?

1GB
12-12-2010, 09:07 AM
I like Gun Scrubber cleaner as well.

As for the title of the thread, I'd love to hear what oils people find functional in cold weather!

I use Rem-Oil, but have found it will gum up when it gets cold. I use 870s, so the gun is still functional, but it takes more effort to pump.

koja48
12-12-2010, 09:37 AM
I'll always use Outers Solvent (think I'm addicted to the smell after all these years), but for lube, while I like Rem Oil, Break-Free CLP will do it all & is my lubricant of choice. I'm of the school of thought that most folks clean their bores way too much. I swab, but rarely use a brush in either shotties or rifles & never in .22's . . . when I do, it's a nylon brush. (I've built Ruger 10/22's that will maintain one-hole, five-shot groups at 50-yards with match ammo when I do my part; those fine bores NEVER see a brush!) Apart from Pheasant hunting, I'm a long-range accuracy freak (long range being relative, from high-end custom air guns to tack-driving varmint calibers that consistently tumble coyotes at 500-yards and a few beyond that.). My guns are ALWAYS wiped-down & clean, but only thoroughly scrubbed when accuracy deteriorates or after heavy use. Quality full-length bore mops for shotguns are a very good thing.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/koja48/P1000376.jpg

Dakotazeb
12-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Since I discoverd Break Free it's all I will use. I was having trouble with my Benelli Montefeltro's action getting slow in cold weather. Since I started using Break Free the action slides as easy in sub-zero weather as it does in the summer time.

http://www.break-free.com/?location=/products/index.asp

FCSpringer
12-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I like Gun Scrubber cleaner as well.

As for the title of the thread, I'd love to hear what oils people find functional in cold weather!

I use Rem-Oil, but have found it will gum up when it gets cold. I use 870s, so the gun is still functional, but it takes more effort to pump.

Good idea changed it as suggested and rem oil is one I tossed in the trash heap years ago for the cold.LOL

Rusty Trigger
12-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Wd-40 ;)

moellermd
12-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Wd-40 ;)

And lots of it!

birdshooter
12-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Breakfree CLP here.

jmac
12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Yes Breakfree/clp, if its good enough for the usmc, its good enough for me.:thumbsup:

BleuBijou
12-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Wd-40 ;)

A great gunsmith once told me that WD 40 was a gunsmiths best friend, because it kept him in business!!!!!!!

waggs
12-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Try this. http://www.gunzilla.us/index.htm

Dakotazeb
12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Try this. http://www.gunzilla.us/index.htm

That stuff looks interesting but I couldn't find anything on their site about use in extremely cold temps.

birdshooter
12-12-2010, 06:55 PM
A great gunsmith once told me that WD 40 was a gunsmiths best friend, because it kept him in business!!!!!!!

I was wondering when someone was going to get around to mentioning that. All one has to do is a search on WD-40 for firearms and you'll get plenty of hits.

Team68
12-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Lubricant Type : Sil-Glyde
Chemical Container Type : Metal Spray Can
Chemical Primary Application : Lubricates, Prevents Sticking On Rubber, Metal, Wood & Plastic
Chemical Working Temperatures : -20 Deg F To 500 Deg F
found at your local napa store Part: BK 7651353

waggs
12-13-2010, 09:49 AM
That stuff looks interesting but I couldn't find anything on their site about use in extremely cold temps.

I have only been using it a couple of years. The only real cold weather trial I have had with it was last years deer season. 20 degrees and blowing snow and no feeding problems with my 1187. And that gun has had a feeding issue since the day I bought new, But thats not a true test in my opinion.

A marine buddy of mine turned me on to this stuff a couple years ago. As it says in there web page, the grunts love it

All I can say is give it a try, Its the only stuff I use now. It sure helped the 1187.

-Wildcat-
12-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Hey now... let's not knock good 'ole Remington too much here ;)

They actually make a product called Dri-Lube. It's a spray-on Teflon lubricant that works under all weather conditions.

People tout that graphite lubricants are the way to go under extremely cold conditions. I've used GunSlick graphite lubricant before, which seems to work well. Actually all of GunSlick's products are pretty good I believe. They also sell a product that lubricates, and inhibits rust at the same time...

http://www.gunslick.com/products/chemicals/lubricants_oils/gunfoam.aspx

I've also used WD-40, and standard Benelli oil. They work well too.

Dog Gun Time
12-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I have been using Clenzoil Field and Range the last five years and have had no issues or complaints. Hunted in snow and freezing fog numerous times but the coldest I have hunted in was only + 9 degrees F and it warmed up to the high teens, low twenties pretty quick.

1stout
12-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I've had really good luck with the Beretta oil that came with my guns. They worked to -15F a couple years ago, a main key is to keep everything clean. In cold weather i clean them daily.

FCSpringer
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't believe 20 falls under extreme.:D -20 is just a start. I had horrible luck in extreme cold with all the rem products, teflon included. Warmer weather, no problem. But when it is way cold I still need my gun to work. Like today it is 10 below and 18 below wind c, I don't consider that extreme, that is average here. When temps reach 30+ below and windchills are worse, and the oil works thats what I am talkin about. You can suprisingly stay comfortable moving around hunting, bundeled up. Its the equipment that fails to work. And Oil along with being clean is the key. I might try the break free, thats one I have not tried. But then I have not tried any others for years now. And I am out in 30 below every year.:D We trained when the storm came through that droped the dome.
:cheers: What else ya going to do in MN drive on water all winter lookin for walleye?:D

1stout
12-13-2010, 06:48 PM
FC, I didn't think that much snow fell up that way? We were deer hunting on saturday, it took some persuading to get them to move. It was still fun and at least it was warm on saturday, Sunday was just plain cold.

onpoint
12-13-2010, 06:54 PM
http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri-Flow_Superior_Aerosol_Lubricant.html

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Rifle_Cleaner.html

Working range of -60F to 475F