PDA

View Full Version : Steel Shot

greatlawn
11-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Why would we need to use Steel shot. why do we need it?

Dakotazeb
11-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Why would we need to use Steel shot. why do we need it?

I'm a little confused by your question. Are you talking about steel shot for hunting pheasants? I don't know what the regulations are in Missouri but in most other states in you hunt upland birds on public (state or federal) land non-toxic, such as steel, is required. Federal regulations require non-toxic shot for all waterfowl hunting.

greatlawn
11-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Yeah that was my Question. but why do they need to have Regulations Against Lead Shot?

Dakotazeb
11-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Yeah that was my Question. but why do they need to have Regulations Against Lead Shot?

Because it has been found that if birds ingest lead shot it can be toxic and kill them. Since waterfowl hunting generally involves hunting over ponds or bodies of water these areas can get a large concentration of shot on the bottom. When waterfowl feed off the bottom of these areas they pick up the shot and ingest it. These federal regulation have been in place for many years. And even if you are hunting upland birds on these federal land, like Waterfown Production Areas, you must use non-toxic shot. Quite a few states, like South Dakota, require the use of non-toxic shot on most all state lands also. If you are hunting strictly private land then lead shot is okay to use. But again, you need to check your state's regulations. There is other non-toxic shot other than steel but the shells tend to be quite expensive. I hope I have explained this well enough for you. If you have more questions you can do an internet search and I'm sure you will find many articles about the use of non-toxic shot.

Dakotazeb
11-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Go to this web site and read.

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/regulations/hunting-general-provisions/nontoxic-shot-only-rule

greatlawn
11-03-2010, 06:16 PM
My 13 year old son is doing research for his drama class. I did not know he was using my sign in. Thanks for the information.

Dakotazeb
11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
My 13 year old son is doing research for his drama class. I did not know he was using my sign in. Thanks for the information.

See, this site is a great educational tool. :)

bobeyerite
11-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I would tell him to check with the EPA, they are the ones pushing the Lead Ban. Along with PiTa and a few others...........Bob

Michigan Gunner
11-03-2010, 08:29 PM
One view is that the whole "problem" of waterfowl dieing from ingesting lead shot is way over blowen. A big part of the push was as one more attack on hunters. But, now that the regs. are here, it is unlikley that they will ever change back. So, buy the very best steel loads and use big pellets.

"T" shot and a 10 ga. work great on geese. No. 2's for pheasants in 12 or 20 ga.

So it goes.

Lock and Load! :D

FCSpringer
11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
One view is that the whole "problem" of waterfowl dieing from ingesting lead shot is way over blowen. A big part of the push was as one more attack on hunters. But, now that the regs. are here, it is unlikley that they will ever change back. So, buy the very best steel loads and use big pellets.

"T" shot and a 10 ga. work great on geese. No. 2's for pheasants in 12 or 20 ga.

So it goes.

Lock and Load! :D

I agree with you 100%, All prapaganda. When you use steel you also see way more fly away wounded birds then you did with lead. I wonder if they study that. Those cripple birds fly away and die. I believe this is hurting the duck population more, but thats just my opinion. Lead there dead.

greatlawn
11-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Thank all of you for your help!!!!:)

greatlawn
11-04-2010, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=FCSpringer;48251]I agree with you 100%, All prapaganda. When you use steel you also see way more fly away wounded birds then you did with lead. I wonder if they study that. Those cripple birds fly away and die. I believe this is hurting the duck population more, but thats just my opinion. Lead there dead.[/HAHAHAHAHA