PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new used gun.

sloth5202
09-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Last week I decided that I just didn't need or want my Benelli Nova anymore. I bought the gun last year right before my first early goose hunt. Everyone I talked to recommended this gun because it was such a tough and reliable gun. This maybe true but to be honest I don't do a lot of hunting where I use my gun to paddle to shore so in hindsight this isn't that big of a deal.

The other reason I got rid of the gun is because I just can't get used to the whole pump action. I was very fortunate growing up because when I started shooting I was shooting only double barrel guns both SxS and O/U's. Unlike most I wasn't raised blasting away with the old 870 so I just wasn't comfortable using the pump action. I also felt like the Nova was a little big for me so firing the gun was even more awkward. I sold the gun to a kid(18 years old) who is just getting into waterfowling. I sold it for $300 which included all the choke tubes and a gun sock. With that cash I bought a Beretta AL-1. It may not be quite as versatile as my Nova but I'm sure it will still kill some pheasants. I deer hunt and turkey hunt but I probably won't use the gun for that because I can just borrow a relative's guns.

Do you guys think this was a good choice by me? Most of my friends don't hunt so I will mostly use the gun as a loaner gun for those first or second timers I bring out with me. I like my O/U's too much to hand over a $1,000 gun to someone who doesn't truly appreciate it.

Another question is do you guys feel like my impression of the Nova is accurate? Maybe a little over-hyped....

Shadow
09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
I've got a Beretta AL2- had it since the early 70's- sweet looking and handling gun- shoots slugs and just about anything else well- I shot skeet but it was my quail gun- so 30 years of using it every weekend during the season without a bit of trouble- meant hard to beat gun

never had a bit of trouble with it- you should like yours- it's a fine shotgun

sloth5202
09-28-2010, 10:39 AM
To be honest I'm a little worried I'm going to like it too much... The O/U's might get a little bit more "rest" this hunting season.

Shadow
09-28-2010, 11:15 AM
mine has been resting for a couple years

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj7/layoutboat/IMG_0001-12.jpgs

Spence
09-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Completely agree on the Nova. I got one as a gift, shot maybe a box through it. Just didn't like it, too bulky etc.... I won't go into too many details, but it would take alot to push one of my Browning BPS's back a slot in the lineup.

I've got enough BPS's to last a lifetime.. :D

Shadow
09-28-2010, 11:18 AM
yours look something like thishttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj7/layoutboat/cold-otherhuntersareinthefield00-13.jpg

Deacon
09-28-2010, 02:43 PM
The new Weatherby Upland pump is awesome. Picked up for my son and he shoots really well with it. Similar to Remington Wingmaster but half the price.

Shadow
09-29-2010, 05:29 PM
didn't he just say he had problems with the whole pump action thing

blackcloud27
09-29-2010, 05:43 PM
shot an 870 for most of my life. then i won a browning gold hunter. what a change. spoiled by the auto loader. hard to remember to pump when i pick up the 870.

sloth5202
09-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah pumping was tough to get used to and I have to admit I just really didn't practice enough with it. It's hard not to shoot the O/U's when busting some clays. I also don't do a lot of hunting besides pheasant and I just didn't want to lug that beast around.

Another problem I have besides pumping is rushing my shot (insert "sounds like a personal problem" joke here). So rushing two aspects of the shot with the pump just wasn't for me.

Shadow- Yeah it kind of looks like your gun but it's an AL-1 and from the pictures it had a much lighter wood. The gun is coming on Friday and I can't wait! I'll be making a trip down to the farm Saturday to put some rounds through it for sure.

Deacon
09-30-2010, 02:15 PM
didn't he just say he had problems with the whole pump action thing

Yep, just wanted to share info on Weatherby pump. Is that a problem. :poke: