PDA

View Full Version : Can u guys bring me up to speed on shot?

FieldKing
09-26-2010, 04:33 PM
I know it has probabaly been covered a million times here but I only have so much time on the forum! I need to know what shot altrenative is available where lead is not allowed, also I have several older fixed choke shotguns and are there any that are o.k to shoot in these, I know steel is a no no.

pheasantaddict
09-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Hevi Shot Classic Doubles, Kent might have some too.

oldandnew
09-26-2010, 10:45 PM
I use Kent tungsten-matrix in my 2 3/4 inch guns, not lead but not bad, patterns well, even in 20 ga. Killing power noticeably inferior. I use RST in my 12 ga. and 20 ga. 2 1/2 inch chambered guns, loaded with "nice shot", you can look them up on the web. RST loads are low recoil, low pressure, tough old birds like pheasant, you need to be close and get the bird in the front end. Both pricey in the extreme. Kent runs about 2.40 per shot, RST 3.00. But better than retiring the L.C. Smith's, Ithaca's, and Parkers. Like I tell the kids, learn not to miss! Read good things about heavi shot upland as well, but haven't used it myself. Good Luck.

onpoint
09-27-2010, 08:17 AM
They say the Kent Tungsten Matrix if far better then the Hevi Shot Classic Doubles. Way better killing power. Both are IMO very expensive.

oldandnew
09-27-2010, 01:10 PM
I would agree, killing power on Pheasants, with Kent Tung-matrix,vastly inferior to lead. because the hevi-shot upland loads are low pressure, low recoil, they are going to have killing power a lot like the RST nice shots. However, centered in the pattern properly, it will kill effectively. I have witnessed the Brits, shooting 7/8ths and 1 ounce loads, with fiber wads, and overshot cards, rolled crimped, nickled lead 7's of course, with full and fuller chokes, drop big driven roosters an easy 75 yards out and up. But some of these guys shoot hundreds of such birds a year, and rank pretty much as experts, their guns are worth more than my car, some maybe as much as my house! Not that they pattern any better. The variety of non-toxic shot is bound to increase, and costs come down, as we are increasingly required to use them.

onpoint
09-28-2010, 04:54 AM
I think they should use my sister in laws biskets. They are heavier then lead and after eating them. I know their killing power too...:laugh::eek:

hen,hen,ROOSTER!!!
09-28-2010, 08:46 AM
@onpoint - HAHAHAHAHA, that's funny right there! :D